Postal money order?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I've got a member who wants to buy a part of mine. He wants to pay with a postal money order.

How does that work?
I cash it before sending the part or....?
I dont sell stuff often most times I just give my stuff away maybe this is a normal thing, I just dont know.

Thanks for the advice.

IMO, you MUST consider a Postal money order (or any money order for that matter) as a check. Tell the person you will cash it at your bank and after 10 days you will send the part. Money orders can be altered. I know a lot of people are uncomfortable telling people that, but you need to protect yourself. UNLESS it is a small amount, and you are willing to take a chance.

It doesn't work with me. I do Paypal or nothing.

I had a member asked me to send him a postal money order instead of a check and I just went to the post office and gave them money and they gave me the postal money order plus a fee. I only buy from people I would trust and talk to you on the phone and just send them the money and tell them when they're all happy and cozy with the money to please send me my product when they can get a chance at their soonest convenience. But yeah you still want to cash it and be happy with the money and you're honest just sending their stuff when you have the money in your pocket.. my-2...

He goes to the post office, gets a money order. Then he will send it to you, you cash it and then send his part back in return.

I would send you a check or a postal money order and when you're happy with the money in your pocket I would very much trust you to send me my stuff...
See how that works? And for god sakes this goes for anybody who's trying to send multiple thousands of dollars, don't do something like that...

I would send you a check or a postal money order and when you're happy with the money in your pocket I would very much trust you to send me my stuff...
See how that works? And for god sakes this goes for anybody who's trying to send multiple thousands of dollars, don't do something like that...

I appreciate that. Now see post #3. Business is business. Personal is personal.

I pretty much agree with that, but there are a few people who say they have been burned by PayPal. I would consider a money order, but like I said above, I would treat it like a check with a 10 day period after cashing before sending the part.

If he is sending you an Postal Money Order, wait till you get the M.O., then ship him the parts, that way you wont loose out. You can deposit the M.O. anytime to your account. M.Os. are safe.
Dave

He goes to the post office, gets a money order. Then he will send it to you, you cash it and then send his part back in return.

If he is sending you an Postal Money Order, wait till you get the M.O., then ship him the parts, that way you wont loose out. You can deposit the M.O. anytime to your account. M.Os. are safe.
Dave
IF you know / trust the person that is fine. However, money orders can be and often are altered. I have seen it back when I was a Western Auto Manager. It may not be easy, but it does happen. Sorry, but money orders are not always safe. Safer than checks, but not always safe.

Dave
I send money orders in US funds, safe and secure, cash the money order send the parts. In some state if the seller tries to screw the guy who sent the money order that constitutes mail fraud.

Dave

Unless they're counterfeit.

Have your part ready to ship, when you get the Postal Money order take everything to the post office,
they will cash the money order on the spot if they have enough cash on hand and then you can ship the part out while your there if your shipping through the US Postal system.

I've done numerous transactions here on FABO and many of them were USPS MO's. That's buying (which I do way too much of) and selling.

One of the members was going to send my stuff before the MO got to him, but my MO was on a fast horse and he got the money first.

If you are a known member of FABO I'd take a MO from any of them and a personal Check from most of them.

Just be sure to cash it b4 u send parts. I have lost out with counterfeit M/O . only happened once. But it was for $600. My loss.
Dont make same mistake as me . Thanks ,C

Have your part ready to ship, when you get the Postal Money order take everything to the post office,
they will cash the money order on the spot if they have enough cash on hand and then you can ship the part out while your there if your shipping through the US Postal system.

This is exactly what I would do.

I got paypal, as much as i dont like it. To suit the sellers requests.
I have used money orders prior to that,quite often in fact. Thought never crossed my mind to tamper with it.

IMO- there are plenty to of sites to send and receive money. A lot on here use PayPal. It’s my method of choice. Vendmo and there are other money sharing methods. Heck- even Western Union if worries.

The main thing is research the seller. Click on their name and read their stats. How long have they been on here? How many “likes” and how many posts have they been part of.
If they are on here more than a few years and have contributed a bunch... then worth working with. Ask for a phone number and talk if needed. Honestly most people on here are here to help. But the person who is a new member with 1 day of time selling a rare part.... walk away.

We see that all the time. Join the board- sell grandmas car and never hear from again.

Good luck-
Joe

Postal money orders are pretty safe.
There is a number on them, just put that number in USPS website.
It will tell you the amount, date purchased and location purchased from.

I've done many transactions with USPS money orders, both buying & selling. I've never had a problem with them.

Some people don't have a checking account or paypal so that is the way they pay. I deal with that quite a bit. I just cash it then send out the parts.

That's all I do, and have never had a problem with anyone here. I have sent and received plenty of them.

I send money orders in US funds, safe and secure, cash the money order send the parts. In some state if the seller tries to screw the guy who sent the money order that constitutes mail fraud.

While it does constitute mail fraud, often little or nothing is done as most times the amount of money involved is not considered worth their time and effort.....case in point, decades ago I tried to buy a a set of Hughes ported iron heads; this was on a different site; sent USPS MO $850.00, the guys name was Erick Spears, lived in Maryland. Never got the heads. Tried to get Post Office involved thinking "hey this is mail fraud" they didn't think amount involved was all that significant.....

-
Back