Potato Pancakes

-

Steve welder

Reaction score
Would someone be so kind as to share their potato pancake recipe?
I’m trying but these seem to be missing something
Thanks

639078CA-1A03-4ECB-8BA8-4E94A9C05F43.jpeg

I use one egg per pound of mashed potatoes. So make mashed potatoes, with one 4oz stick of butter per 4-5 pounds of potatoes. Season how you like, but don’t add too much milk, cream of the such. Taste. Then mix the egg(s) in. I use very little oil and pan fry in a cast iron pan till golden brown.

There’s plenty or recipes out there but the ones that I’ve eaten for almost 70 years have potatoes, egg, flour, onion salt and pepper.

In addition to listed above, we always put in parsley, and sometimes chopped green onion bits.

Great.

Now I'm craving potato pancakes.

Thanks.

:)

I don't have a good recipe, mine are usually tolerable just adding some egg and spices to left over mashed potatoes. But around here the good ones you get at a fish fry generally have some grated potato in them to give the patty a bit of structure and a different texture. Definitely diced or ground onion as well.

Yummy, I haven't had those in years. My Grandma used to make them, fond memories of my Grandparents came to me reading this! Thank you for providing a great start to my day!

I may have to attempt making these for my family this weekend.

I have no recipe, but the farmer that I worked for, when I was 8, his wife had me run peeled potatoes through a meat grinder. The end result was not deep fried, but fried in a pan just like normal pancakes. Maple syrup and butter, priceless. Wish that I had that recipe, would have them every Saturday night, just like they did back in 1958.

That's too much oil. If you use less oil (like a layer about half as deep as the pancake, then they won't cook as fast and you won't burn where the cooked area overlaps when you flip 'em.
I loved these as a kid. A friend's German mother made the best ones!

If you are “deep frying” the oil should be at least 350 degrees. Any lower and the oil will get soaked in and the item will be oily. The only exception is when making French fries, we would cut the potatoes, soak in salt water over night, then “blanch” the fries in oil that is about 300-325. At service time the fryer is set at 365 and the fries would be cooked at this higher temp. I have found that Rice bran oil is about the best to fry in. Peanut oil also.

I agree, but the grated potatoes need to be blanch to cook some of the starch. This is why restaurant hash browns are nice and crispy, not soggy like if ya just grated into a frying pan.
They don’t need to be blanched. Just drain some liquid from them because a lot of the liquid contains starch.

I usually take baked potatoes and run them through a cheese grater. I prefer red potatoes and just use a little butter in the pan. Makes great hash browns but they’ve used them in the pancakes. I haven’t figured out the recipe yet either. I think it’s eggs and floor and a little milk for the batter. Season white salt and pepper

Funny, I was just talking about these with friends the other day. I haven't had them in years. I stopped by a friend's house waaaay back, and he happened to be making them. - He couldn't make them as fast as I was eating them! :lol:

I think I'll try some blanched, and some not.
Searching, "How to blanch", leaves me confused. What's a good way?

I have an old hand meat grinder. Should I blanch before or after grinding (grating)?

I think if you look it up, blanching just means partially cooked. In this case you'd boil the potatoes for a while but not until they are cooked all the way through, then grate them. That will release some of the starch and they'll finish cooking in the pan.

I am trying to find the farmers daughter that I worked for, she was a class mate.
If successful, hoping she has her mom's old recipe. It's been 65 years!

-
Back