Power brake booster

-

swedefish

Reaction score
Hi guys
Have a question.
How do I measure the size of a brake booster? When it says 8” is it the diameter or?
Many thanks in advance
Swedefish

The outer O.D. of vacuum reservoir ..seems they went to 10" after 1972

Thanks guys
Looks like the booster in my -67 Barracuda is 7”.

EE01A49B-A3A3-4B91-8433-EDA2AED33A87.png

Early A-body boosters used dual diaphragms to work with a small 7" diaphragm. They changed to ~10" single diaphragms in the 1970's. Clearing the valve cover in a V-8 is the main concern. If a slant-six, a 10" booster "should work" even in an early-A (1963-66 w/ narrower engine bay). I used a 1990's Intrepid booster on 1974 Dart standoff brackets in my 1965 Dart and just barely clear the aftermarket aluminum valve cover of my 273 engine. Indeed, I have to unbolt the booster to remove that valve cover. Best deal today is a new booster w/ brackets for ~$175 on ebay, using a GM booster and adapter. Haven't read that it doesn't clear an early V-8 valve cover.

Early A-body boosters used dual diaphragms to work with a small 7" diaphragm. They changed to ~10" single diaphragms in the 1970's. Clearing the valve cover in a V-8 is the main concern. If a slant-six, a 10" booster "should work" even in an early-A (1963-66 w/ narrower engine bay). I used a 1990's Intrepid booster on 1974 Dart standoff brackets in my 1965 Dart and just barely clear the aftermarket aluminum valve cover of my 273 engine. Indeed, I have to unbolt the booster to remove that valve cover. Best deal today is a new booster w/ brackets for ~$175 on ebay, using a GM booster and adapter. Haven't read that it doesn't clear an early V-8 valve cover.

Also need to be aware of any more recent ignition items on the firewall and clearance of the bulkhead connector when/if you change the mounting bracket

Early A body boosters were dual diaphragm and 6 1/4” diameter, then they upped the diaphragm to 7” in later years.

Quick way to identify the 6 1/4” from the 7” is the 7” booster has 2 dimples on each side at the master cylinder mount location. The 6 1/4 booster does not have the dimples.

-
Back