Power brake swap question

-

AHamilton

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Dart Swinger 318/auto with manual brakes. I upgrading suspension and brakes. I have seen a power broke combo on EBay for a 70 Dart that has an offset bracket. Is this correct? I have seen pics that did not appear to have brackets. Will be replacing master cylinder as well. Thanks in advance.

Ya gota be carful doing a add on. The one I got on e bay was great except it stuck out from the fire wall so far that then the O.E.M. air cleaner assembly hit it. BOOOO!!!
Probably will not be able to remove your valve cover.
NOW NOTE..... MINE IS A 1972 DART WITH A 225 c.u.

I think yur talking about the vertically offset Dual Diaphragm unit which is correct for early 70s. They work well on engines that run high vacuun at low rpm such as all stockers,lol. But once your idle vacuum drops below 10inches or so, they get a lil lazy. First time out, in the morning I had to blip the throttle a couple of times to charge the booster, but it was otherwise fine on my 68 Barracuda. On a 273-360, the vertical offset is IMO a good thing.

Having said that, I prefer the later single-diaphragm,73 up units. Better feel,lighter pedal,earlier on-line, stays on-line. They seem to always be set up too sensitive. So adjust the pushrod shorter for less, smack your forehead on the dash, boost.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSplNADiGPwhx2q4VUkZKjhOVWpxPmPrRKClrHBh82balCV7KqbuQ.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1nDmvFKSUbn27hOYQrZOJMJX75TG-r9CbOt4bWUJteHD0XIv26Q.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3X1_f-aUWo9Fr7c3Nn_hqnb1AyQ_0yhhItRv1mPcCCMQPdgKTpQ.jpg

Last edited:
The previous owner of mine did the SSBC power disc upgrade kit. Works good. It actually has a GM booster and master cylinder. It is vertically offset like the stock one. Makes changing the drivers side plugs and valve cover a real pain, but I love power brakes.

-
Back