Power Pak rebuilt engine plate

-

340_dart_power

Reaction score
Anyone seen this before? The photo is of a metal plate which is attached to my 340 currently in my Dart GT. The casting numbers indicate the engine is a 1972, while my Dart is a 1971. I was told that this was a crate/ replacement engine kept @ dealerships which would be installed in a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth vehicle under warranty when the owner blew up the original engine. The dealership would yank the blown engine and drop in the crate engine.
This makes sense, as the 318 which originally came in the Dart is long gone, and if it was blown up in the first year of ownership while still under warranty then the dealership would have the next year casting engine available to drop in.
Any thoughts on this?

340PowerPakmetalplate.jpg

I've never seen that. I know later units sold through dealerships have "remanufactured by Chrysler" metal tags on them (late 70s) but I've never seen one that early. Cool thing there...

The explanation I gave (above) regarding the origin came from a gentleman who works at Diamondback Engines in Texas. He has a friend who worked for a dealership for 30 years and was the source of the info. I have no reason to doubt it, but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had the same recollection/knowledge.

Could also just be an aftermarket replacement engine that a private shop put in at some time. If it truely is a "Chrysler approved" replacement then there has to be some sort of documentation somewhere. A true warranty motor won't have any VIN number on it.

I wouldn't accept a "rebuilt" motor for a replacement engine in my new car.

Chuck

I have the same tag on a 389 power pack rebuilt engine stock #hoo5350 it's the identified tag as on yours so whoever built yours must have built this one it is on a Pontiac

That's pretty cool. I was gonna say that I could not see a certified dealer installing a different size engine in a car under warranty, but the mystery is solved. That's a neato piece of history.

I realize this is an old thread, but here is another example, on a 225 slant six pulled from a 68 Barracuda notch.

image.jpeg

Mopar warranty engines do have a metal tag and a rivet like that.

I have a '68 and a '76.

-
Back