Power Steering -again!

-

Gavin

Reaction score
I have a 70 Valiant hardtop -a Dart with Ausy Hemi 245 and I want to improve the steering - It has all components new and a rebuild power box. It runs about 2 D positive caster and is actually not bad ---but very sensitive .
Reading everything about the gains got by reducing pressure I made some changes -It had a Ford Thomson PS running abut 900PSI. I have changed the PS pump to a Saginaw P1 and reduced the pressure with spacers (washers) and have the pump running about 600PSI on oversteer.
While I knew the Pump pressure release only works on OS -I suspected reducing the pressure -was unlikely to be any advantage- with many successes reported and these kits being professionally sold -maybe I am missing something! The higher pressure Ford Thompson actually steers better so I suspect flows are the answer. I think the 5/32 orifice Sag P1 needs to be be re-orificed.
Ideally change the SB but Note a Firm feel SB is very hard and costly to exchange from NZ - which is the obvious answer. Other boxs -I need Left Hand Drive!
I appreciate comments.

Gavin! I put a x series power steering box on my VJ charger as I am getting old and need power steering the chrysler set up is the worlds worst. Now it takes quite a lot of re engineering but if you have the skills it can be done. Mine is a 410 small block and the clearances between the oil lines and steering box are very tight but with a hemi six you have plenty of room. Mine has only about 3 or 4 mm clearance around the pacemaker large size exctractors but fit without any pipe modifications. I cut open the chassis rail and completely strengthened the inside of the rail and redrilled the bolt pattern and welded crush sleves in then spaced the box away from the railso it just clears the one inch torsion bars. You can run a adapter plate if you wish but I had rust issues in the rail so completely remade the rail. The racing tilley pacer in the muscle car racing series also runs an xf box and that is what gave me the idea. Yes mine handles great with one inch torsion bars and tubular upper control arms and adjustable strut rods and 31 mm sway bar.

Gavin! I put a x series power steering box on my VJ charger as I am getting old and need power steering the chrysler set up is the worlds worst. Now it takes quite a lot of re engineering but if you have the skills it can be done. Mine is a 410 small block and the clearances between the oil lines and steering box are very tight but with a hemi six you have plenty of room. Mine has only about 3 or 4 mm clearance around the pacemaker large size exctractors but fit without any pipe modifications. I cut open the chassis rail and completely strengthened the inside of the rail and redrilled the bolt pattern and welded crush sleves in then spaced the box away from the railso it just clears the one inch torsion bars. You can run a adapter plate if you wish but I had rust issues in the rail so completely remade the rail. The racing tilley pacer in the muscle car racing series also runs an xf box and that is what gave me the idea. Yes mine handles great with one inch torsion bars and tubular upper control arms and adjustable strut rods and 31 mm sway bar.

Your /VJ mods are interesting As you indicate -and...as for myself getting this old Chryslers to drive nice is the objective.
So your replacement steering box is a Falcon XF -did it fit the old mounting holes? What PS pump and pressures etc are you running?
I would consider a firm feel PSB but its on exchange only with no LH drive boxs available in the US. Darn near hand carry it cheaper and the current situation could make freight an issue.
I like your tubular upper control arms and Adjustable strut rods -I am thinking of this but in NZ certification is a B pain.

A bodies are light as hell. Why not just switch to manual steering? Are you a girl?

Gavin. If you read my post- No the bolt pattern is different! I completly remade the mounting holes. A valiant power steering pitman arm fits straight on and I purchased a new saginaw pump and just put braided lines on it. Rusty no I am not a girl but at sixty six years old I do not want to go to the gym just to be able to park my chariot. With PS I can crank as much caster into it and make it handle but still be pleasant to drive.And Rusty it makes around 550 H/powders.

Gavin. If you read my post- No the bolt pattern is different! I completly remade the mounting holes. A valiant power steering pitman arm fits straight on and I purchased a new saginaw pump and just put braided lines on it. Rusty no I am not a girl but at sixty six years old I do not want to go to the gym just to be able to park my chariot. With PS I can crank as much caster into it and make it handle but still be pleasant to drive.And Rusty it makes around 550 H/powders.
James,
You are saying the XJ power box is a considerable improvement on the the Valiant Power steering box ? I have been able to desensitize the Val box - by reducing the saginaw max pressure to 600PSI. My pump has the standard flow orifice (5/32) and I will probably try 1/8. I think my "fixs" raise some questions and do not match an improved steering box. This HT is original and I am only trying to improve the driving pleasure -It's close. Gavin

Gavin, the xf box is a modern variable ratio box so has less turns lock to lock and is so much more direct than a chrysler box and it is nearly half the size of the chrysler box.They used it on XD XE XF Falcons and even the XG ute until they went to rack and pinon. As for rack and pinion I have been there and done that with a commodore rack and it created as many issues as it solved so I would not go there again unless I could find a better rack system.

-
Back