Power steering and AC bracketry quandary

-
Got all the vacuum hoses routed and figured out.

Well the Super SIx air cleaner ain't gonna clear the AC compressor. Not even close. Any ideas?
ACs.JPG

I see one was made for AC, not sure it would clear either.
[SOLD] - Super Six Air Cleaner Housing

Last edited:

Well the Super SIx air cleaner ain't gonna clear the AC compressor. Not even close. Any ideas?
View attachment 1715948121

I'm almost certain that air cleaner is the same diameter as the Super Six air cleaner. I believe you will find the difference is in how the compressor mounts. Maybe we can rile @slantsixdan up and he will ejeekate us.

Maybe that and add a spacer to raise it up a little if needed. I need to find the gasket the goes between the air cleaner and carb too.
I am almost 100% positive I sent one. Lost in transit maybe?

Or my blunder. Did you send a flat round gasket? I thought I saw a factory (sort of custom) rubber one in a pic somewhere.
I did. The one that goes around the carburetor throat that seals the air cleaner to it.

Ok, I know you sent the air cleaner separately. I'll have to go look. But what you sent is like Fel-Pro 60448?
I honestly don't remember the number. It was for a 70s 318 two barrel because my stupid *** assumed they were the same. I do apologize.

I honestly don't remember the number. It was for a 70s 318 two barrel because my stupid *** assumed they were the same. I do apologize.
Ok no worries, that gasket is available and cheap. As long as it wasn't a custom rubber factory gasket. I'd hunt it down with vigor in that case.

Ok no worries, that gasket is available and cheap. As long as it wasn't a custom rubber factory gasket. I'd hunt it down with vigor in that case.
No it was just a standard stock gasket. lol

No it was just a standard stock gasket. lol
Cool. Off to do some electrical work. Oddly that choke wire connects to the blue wire coming off oil pressure sensor. lol I think it's switched 12vdc. What the engineer had in mind I've not figured out.

Out with the old, in with the new. I'm going to add a new engine to chassis ground as a final step.
term.JPG

View attachment 1715948121

My 83 D150 came from the factory with a BBD. It did not have factory AC but the front of the air cleaner housing had a flat on it that was there to provide clearance for the AC compressor. I have added factory AC to that D150.
If you can do minor metal work and welding or know some one that does it should not be a big deal to modify the front and top the car air cleaner housing to get clearance.

Cool. Off to do some electrical work. Oddly that choke wire connects to the blue wire coming off oil pressure sensor. lol I think it's switched 12vdc. What the engineer had in mind I've not figured out.
That is there so if the engine is not running (no oil pressure), there will not be any voltage to the choke. If that oil pressure switch was not in the circuit, if the ign sw was on, and engine not running, power would be applied to the choke. This could cause cold drivability issues, as the choke would open too early.

That's not a Super Six air cleaner; looks like a '70-'73 318 item. It's not going to clear any A/C compressor (Chrysler V2, Nippondenso C171, Sanden SD) with a 225. The Super Six air cleaner meant for use with A/C has a flatted front to allow it to barely clear the compressor. It would take a lot more than an extra gasket or two to move the air cleaner up high enough to clear the compressor, then the hood wouldn't close.

There was also an offset-base air cleaner used in some Dodge van applications—that gives even more clearance for an A/C compressor. Beyond that, it's sort of a matter of cobbling up whatever you can.

For the air cleaner, I know a guy who can modify it. He's not cheap but does good work. Last resort.

Sometimes I get these runs of blind luck. Gates 38039 pulley installed without much ado. Air pump gone. I bolted it in with hardware I had lying around. Works for now. What's needed is a 3-hole triangular plate for the front with a tang to leverage on with prybar. Coming soon.

p1.JPG
p2.JPG
p3.JPG

You are gettin close!
Crap, pool of PS fluid on the floor. The Saginaw 'reman' pump is leaking out of the box from a seam on the bottom of the reservoir. And it's too late to return it directly to Rockauto. Going to have to be a manufacturer warranty claim.

Crap, pool of PS fluid on the floor. The Saginaw 'reman' pump is leaking out of the box from a seam on the bottom of the reservoir. And it's too late to return it directly to Rockauto. Going to have to be a manufacturer warranty claim.
I knew I liked manual steering. lol

Ok, back to ac compressor mount brackets for a minute. As "my68barracuda" had said a few posts up,
I too have an 80's d150 with a/6 that I'm adding all the parts to add ac just like the factory did.
I found an 80 volare in the junkyard by me, that is all but forgotten about, barely noticeable on account of being hidden by overgrown weeds. Factory AC car. Only /6 car in that yard. I now have the ac brackets that used to be on that car. The PS was mounted differently than how it's mounted in my truck, there was an extension of sorts off the bottom of the ac brackets that the ps pump hung from, where the ps pump mounts straight to the block on my trucks engine. Is this a car vs truck difference, or an ac equipped vs non ac equipped difference?
I already have the original ps pump and brackets that came on my truck, all cleaned up and mounted back to the new engine before I found these ac brackets.
I suppose I can cut that part of the junkyard brackets away if needed. I Left the ps pump, ac compressor and air pump behind, just got the brackets themselves. It appears that I'd have to either use the F body ps pump with it's associated brackets, or pull the ps pulley off the F body's pump to get the ps mount bracket "itself", to use them on mine. The air pump was already missing from this truck, when I got it/ and I'm not going to put one in it's place. My intention was to make an idler/belt adjuster, in place of the smog pump.
Does anyone know if the factory placement of the ac compressor on an f body, is the same as the placement of the ac compressor, on an 80s truck?
I'm wanting to use Aftermarket hoses, that are "replacements for factory" ones. I already have one of those here. Just have to get the other one. .and of course a factory replacement compressor not an add on, "dealer installed" style.

1 more question (for now) this F body that gave up it's ac brackets had a horizontal kicker bracket going back to the intake and held there by a single 3/8" coarse thread bolt. It bolted on right above the EGR valve. This particular volare had a 1 bbl intake. I'm running a factory super 6 intake, on my truck. Would this bracket mount up the same, or would there have been a different sort of bracket in that spot, for super 6 equipped engines?

@volaredon
I don't have any answers for you, but I'll take all the pics you want of my truck. Made some progress.

Air pump gone, new pulley finished. Appears bulletproof at first blush.
p2.JPG
p3.JPG

Ground a slot for a prybar to make the tension adjustment. Works nicely.
p1a.JPG
p1b.JPG

New battery stuff done.
e1.JPG

I went back over to the other /6 site and found pix of "My68barracuda's" install and it looks quite close to the same positioning for the compressor.
My son had an 80 step side with a slant and "dealer installed AC" that had a York compressor, I liked how that one was tucked in, more like Charlie's brackets put the compressor. but I didn't like the "field made," cut to fit, hoses that my son's truck had. I'd rather have them crimped to the fittings. That's why I want to be able to use factory style replacement hoses.
I might be back asking for those pix that you offered/// but right now, I'm just wanting to get the fresh engine running, and the "bugs" out of it that inevitably come with an engine swap first//while I acquire info and the last few pieces I'm gonna need to do that part of the rebuild. Just asking questions, as I see the subject brought up///since at the moment, you're asking the same questions I'm gonna have, when I get to that point in my build.

Last edited:
-
Back