Power steering and AC bracketry quandary

-
For the future, there is a detailed thread on AC compressor and bracket options for a slant-six. Keep your eyes out for a ~1978 Volare/Aspen since many used a Sanden compressor. The Saginaw p.s. pump connects to the same bracket. I pulled one at PicNPull years ago. It comes threateningly close to the battery in my early A (narrower engine bay), but batteries may be smaller someday. For now, I have a custom Sanden bracket I welded which mounts at the PS 3-hole pad. If I ever change to power steering, I might go to the Volare brackets.

Anyone know how hard it would be to find another air cleaner like the one in post #26? I got some DIY ideas and if I mangle it, I need a contingency plan.

For the future, there is a detailed thread on AC compressor and bracket options for a slant-six. Keep your eyes out for a ~1978 Volare/Aspen since many used a Sanden compressor. The Saginaw p.s. pump connects to the same bracket. I pulled one at PicNPull years ago. It comes threateningly close to the battery in my early A (narrower engine bay), but batteries may be smaller someday. For now, I have a custom Sanden bracket I welded which mounts at the PS 3-hole pad. If I ever change to power steering, I might go to the Volare brackets.

You talking about this thread or is there another one that I missed?
From what you're saying, sounds like the same setup as I found. What I got, came from an '80 volare.i wonder if the '78 setup would be minus smog pump?
And the p/s on that, was hung off of the ac bracketry.
On my truck it's hung off of 2 of the 7/16 threaded holes at front bottom of the block.
It's been way too long since I tore apart my own 80 volare. I don't remember how the P/S pump was hung off of that one as my volare came as factory non AC.
I tore that engine out with full intentions of doing a magnum swap from the get go, sold the original engine and gave the /6 crossmember to a buddy who had ideas of changing an Oliver tractor over to a /6. But I do have all of the needed parts for that one to put it back together with either factory AC or go back non AC like it was built. (But my brackets and lines for that car, are for the V8) that car has been "back burner" way too long, project creep has had it's way and then some with it and the "might as wells" besides.
But here lately I've been rethinking the V8 thing.
One thing with that car that's non negotiable, is the swap to a 5 speed stick. Originally was a 904 car.

On my truck, there's that bracket that attaches to the block with 2 bolts, and a single dedicated belt to the 3-row crank pulley. But you knew that right. I just ordered a 'new' Lares pump and pulley. I'm sick of messing around with it at this point.

Just putting this in the post as an FYI to Dodgelad, Volaredon and anyone else interested.
The single pulley slant six compressor clutch assembly is about impossible to find new. I am currently using a compressor with a dual pulley v8 compressor clutch on the slant in the D150. When mounted normally on the D series compressor bracket neither of the two clutch pulley line up with the other engine pulleys. However it was not a big deal to shim the compressor to get one of the compressor clutch pulleys to line up properly. IIRC I am using the inside compressor clutch pulley.
So if your slant six compressor clutch fails, you can use a v8 dual pulley compressor clutch.

-
Back