Power steering box input shaft adjust

-

bbab3

Reaction score
I have been attempting to adjust the free play out of my power steering box. It has some in and out movement of the input shaft. From what I have been able to find the the shaft end play needs to be set first then the sector shaft adjustment is done last. What is the best/easiest way to adjust the input shaft end play?

This is from Summit pertaining to a GM Saginaw box. Obviously not a Mopar.

SAGINAW GEAR BOX ADJUSTMENT
The first adjustment is the input of the box where the steering shaft comes in.
 There is a 2-inch jam ring, back it off, and then under it are 2 holes for a spanner wrench (if you do not own a spanner then a dull punch or chisel will work).
 Tighten the inner piece like you would wheel bearings i.e. seat it tight then loosen, then go back finger tight so there is no play on the preload but your not over tensioning the thrust bearings.
 When you are done the input shaft may still move side to side but as you turn the shaft there should be no trace of in and out movement.
The second adjustment is the Allen on top of the box; this preloads the sector shaft that your pitman arm connects to.
 First, put the front tires in the air, engine off the whole time, set the steering at center or straight ahead with the tires. On Saginaw boxes the flat spot on the input shaft will be facing up.
 You will then break the jam nut loose, screw down the Allen until the teeth touch inside the box you will have to feel for it as the Allen will get harder to turn, do not confuse this with the initial breaking loose of loctite.
 The teeth should be 1⁄4 to no more than 2 turns down, normally you should still have at lest a couple of threads showing. From there take the input or the steering wheel and turn it both directions back and forth across center, as you do that slowly turn the Allen tighter until you feel a light drag across center, not a drag so big that you will feel it with the engine running but a light drag is very important.
 What you have done is taken the play out of the teeth then preloaded the sector shaft into the needle bearings which will keep it from moving left to right at the pitman arm.
 Relock all jam nuts making sure that adjusters do not move

If I understand you correctly;
You cannot adjust the"freeplay" out of the column side of a Chrysler Power-steering box. It has to be there to activate the control valve.
With the engine off, what you are seeing is the flexing of the reaction discs.
After the engine is running, that flexing is what signals the control valve to start boosting.
With the engine running, a lot of the flex disappears as the oil-pressure inside the box increases.
If you want more or less boost or just to change the boost-timing, you have to take the box apart and add/subtract more/less/or thinner/thicker discs. I used to get those discs at the Mopar dealer.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that the box imput is adjustable like a Gm saginaw box. Obviously the wrong info for the Mopar power steering boxes.

-
Back