Power Steering Conversion

-

bkne543

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Barracuda 273 V8 with manual steering and I am looking to convert it to Power steering. Does anyone know if anyone sells a conversion kit that would be a direct fit without having to do a lot of modifications. Kit would need to include: Pump, Reservoir, Pulley, Bracket, hoses and Steering box.

I am not aware of any kits that meet those requirements. Bear in mind you will need the shorter steering column center shaft with the PS coupler in addition to all thise parts you listed. I would place a Wanted ad or since you have manual steering, you might be able to trade your setup for the PS setup

Last edited:
I am not aware of any kits that meet those requirements. Bear in mind you will need the shorter steering column center shaft with the PS coupler in addition to all thise parts you listed. I would place a Wanted ad or since you have manual steering, you might be able to trade your setup for the PS setup

So could I just put a PS shaft in my manual column and bolt PS in?

I'm a site sponsor and participant for 15+ years here, yet some don't know who I am.

I can supply everything possible for your conversion with some exceptions:

The pulley you need is not reproduced. They are usually on ebay. The engines with cast iron water pumps have unique offsets. You will need a power steering column shaft as yours is not collapsible like the 67 and later units. I don't recommend the universal joint due to its rubbery feel and short life. PM, text or call me. You can click my logo on the site too. Bergmanautocraft.com

I am doing the same on My 69 Fish. Got all the period correct parts except the Box! The Box prices are all over the place!

I'm a site sponsor and participant for 15+ years here, yet some don't know who I am.

I can supply everything possible for your conversion with some exceptions:

The pulley you need is not reproduced. They are usually on ebay. The engines with cast iron water pumps have unique offsets. You will need a power steering column shaft as yours is not collapsible like the 67 and later units. I don't recommend the universal joint due to its rubbery feel and short life. PM, text or call me. You can click my logo on the site too. Bergmanautocraft.com
Going to email you.

-
Back