Power Steering Fluid?

-

ACME SS

Reaction score
My PS system has a clear fluid. My rebuilt "Firm Feel" box has a clear liquid. The manual for 71 Demon says to use Mopar part #(obsolete). The chassis manual says to use the recommended fluid or one that will not harm rubber hoses.

Yes I could call Firm Feel on Monday ( its Saturday morning as I write this) but I was wondering if anyone off-hand had a fluid (not AT fluid) that they use? I'm probably only a few ounces shy of full and I am tempted to use my AW-32 hydraulic fluid to top it off. Thanks, would love to drive it today but if I have to, I can wait till Monday.

I have several bottles of Quaker State power steering fluid I use. It's clear in color. When I drained the ATF and refilled with QS PS fluid, it made my steering a lot smoother and less grabby. It looks to be discontinued, but any clear PS fluid should work fine. AW32 will work, but might be far from optimal.

ATF is not right. Get a PS fluid that does not have any stop leak in it.

O'Riley, autoparts "power steering" fluid is clear.

IIRC ford's used ATF back in the day.

But back in the day was a LOOOONG time ago.

Well I was surprised to find that Firm Feel must have filled it and tested the gearbox before they shipped it. I lost maybe...maybe an ounce of their fluid in the transplant and pretty much no more than a teaspoon when I pulled the lines off. I actually added nothing to it for my test drive so I will purchase the correct stuff to top it off from a parts store.

I agree AW-32 is probably not a good option....just wishing I had a chain saw or something so I could use up the 2 gallon jug I have to make shelf space..LOL

I have several bottles of Quaker State power steering fluid I use. It's clear in color. When I drained the ATF and refilled with QS PS fluid, it made my steering a lot smoother and less grabby. It looks to be discontinued, but any clear PS fluid should work fine. AW32 will work, but might be far from optimal.
That's likely because someone put Dexron in it. Ford Type F is really the only transmission fluid to run, IF you run transmission fluid, because it is hydraulic oil with no detergent.

-
Back