Power steering gearbox leak

-

lenky1

Reaction score
1971 duster power steering gearbox is leaking from the end. Im assuming i can get a seal kit but what have u guys used to get the seal out.

20191123_150414.jpg

1971 duster power steering gearbox is leaking from the end. Im assuming i can get a seal kit but what have u guys used to get the seal out.

View attachment 1715427503
I use this method. You've got all the hard work done already.
Drill a small hole for a sheetrock screw. (I think a 1/8" drill bit will work). Insert screw and it should come right out. Use a deep well socket to tap the new one in.
20190403_134229.jpg
20190403_135651.jpg

1972 PLYMOUTH SCAMP 5.2L 318cid V8 Steering Gear Worm Shaft Seal | RockAuto

Last edited:
That looks easy enough. Ty for for the quick response. As always fabo members are 2nd to none

Wow, you guys may have just saved me from having to remove the steering box from my 66 barracuda. I was going to remove it (pain in the ***), and send it off to be rebuilt as it was leaking. From the picture, it looks like you are able to r&r the seal without removing the box from the car. Is that correct? I already removed the steering column, so if I can replace the seal without having to remove the box that would be a blessing. In addition to that seal, are there other seals on the box that are prone to leak? Thanks

Wow, you guys may have just saved me from having to remove the steering box from my 66 barracuda. I was going to remove it (pain in the ***), and send it off to be rebuilt as it was leaking. From the picture, it looks like you are able to r&r the seal without removing the box from the car. Is that correct? I already removed the steering column, so if I can replace the seal without having to remove the box that would be a blessing. In addition to that seal, are there other seals on the box that are prone to leak? Thanks
yep. Make a center punch mark in the seal. I use a small offset air powered drill motor and 1/16th drill bit. Theres a shoulder in the casting that a sheet metal screw tip should stop at then threads draw the seal out. Some drywall screws have double threads. I don't know if that type would work. That's why I stated sheet metal screw.

I did my seal when I had the steering column out. I used the firewall hole for clearance for the drill.

The only listing the parts store had for the seal was for manual steering. They did not show anything for power steering. I got the only one listed for my 66. National #7214. The diameter looks right, but the new one does not have as much of a flange. Anyone know if both manual and power box use the same seal?

I think the difference between manual and power is the diameter of the shaft. Manual is a larger shaft.

IIRC the input seal I used was 1" OD and .625 or 5/8" ID for the shaft. Seems like I had to order it from Rockauto.

The seal you have does seem like it has a narrow band.

I think the difference between manual and power is the diameter of the shaft. Manual is a larger shaft.

IIRC the input seal I used was 1" OD and .625 or 5/8" ID for the shaft. Seems like I had to order it from Rockauto.

The seal you have does seem like it has a narrow band.
Thanks. I checked rock auto out and they had one listed from skf#6141. I had the local parts store cross reference to the brand they carry, national #7188s. That one has the dimensions you gave, so Hopefully that one will work.

Thanks. I checked rock auto out and they had one listed from skf#6141. I had the local parts store cross reference to the brand they carry, national #7188s. That one has the dimensions you gave, so Hopefully that one will work.
Mission complete, thank you so much for those of you who replied. Used a small center punch. First tried a 1/8" bit, but the drill moved around on the seal. Used a 1/16" bit and screwed in the drywall screw with a Phillips screwdriver and the seal came right out. Drove there seal in with a deep well socket.The national 7188S was the correct seal for my 66 barracuda with power steering. Thanks again, you guys are AWESOME!

Mission complete, thank you so much for those of you who replied. Used a small center punch. First tried a 1/8" bit, but the drill moved around on the seal. Used a 1/16" bit and screwed in the drywall screw with a Phillips screwdriver and the seal came right out. Drove there seal in with a deep well socket.The national 7188S was the correct seal for my 66 barracuda with power steering. Thanks again, you guys are AWESOME!
Great. If/when you need to replace the lower seal, there's a tip for that one too. No drill or screw required.
A note for others... see in the above pic how the screw blew out the outer wall of the seal? Try to avoid that. Center punch mark over on the seal, drill small, angle the screw toward seal wall. You don't want to damage the casting wall too much. RTV there regardless. Happy moparing

Great. If/when you need to replace the lower seal, there's a tip for that one too. No drill or screw required.
A note for others... see in the above pic how the screw blew out the outer wall of the seal? Try to avoid that. Center punch mark over on the seal, drill small, angle the screw toward seal wall. You don't want to damage the casting wall too much. RTV there regardless. Happy moparing
Good point, the drill barely touched the casting. I took the burr off with a file. Don't think it will leak, but a dab of etc can't hurt. Now I need to pull the shaft anyway, the bushing at the bottom is shot. Anyone know the best source for that nylon bushing?

Great job! Glad we could help out a little. Steve

Oh, I missed the 66 part @GSXcite. I was still thinking '71, lol.

I bought this one for my '66. Not sure how original looking it is, but DMT generally take an original part and creates duplicates to manufacture. Mine was long gone when I got my car. I just wanted to keep heat and smells from the engine bay coming in the cab.

Mopar A B Body 62-66 Lower Steering Column End Seal

Last edited:
Another tip..... when installing the new seal over the shaft, tape the splines on the shaft with a round of electrical tape before sliding the new seal over them. That will keep the splines from cutting the new seal.

Oh, I missed the 66 part @GSXcite. I was still thinking '71, lol.

I bought this one for my '66. Not sure how original looking it is, but DMT generally take an original part and creates duplicates to manufacture. Mine was long gone when I got my car. I just wanted to keep heat and smells from the engine bay coming in the cab.

Mopar A B Body 62-66 Lower Steering Column End Seal
Yes sir. I ordered it, thank you. Thought I would replace the plastic bushing too, but there is not much to it, and it doesn't look worn. Is this supposed to have foam packing or something? I do not see any remnants of anything in there. Thanks again.

IMAG0478.jpg

-
Back