power steering gearbox swap

-

1969moparDART

Reaction score
i have a 1969 dodge dart that im turning into a manual steering car so i need to take off my old power steering pump so my question is how to i get to the two bolts that are next to eackh other that are bolted to the K frame? any and all comments are a huge help. when i do get it off i will have a brand new power steering pump and a used but good shape power steering gearbox

Thomas

I have had my 69 Barracuda's PS box in and out several times. As I remember, it is held in with three bolts. No mystery, you just take them out. There are no nuts on the other side of the bolts, they just come out. The bolt heads on mine were rather strange (original??). They were 12 point, and a 1/2" 12 point socket fit fine. I also remember they are a bit tricky to get to, because I have headers. Nothing an extension and a U-joint can't handle. Make sure the Pitman Arm and steering shaft linkage are disconnected first. Then keep in mind the PS box is HEAVY, so be prepared for the weight. If you have headers, getting the three bolts out is not the problem. Getting the box past the headers is the fun part. I have to take all the bolts out of the driver's sider header, then hold the steering box with one hand, hold the header with the other, and wiggle everything just right until it slips out. For your sake, I hope you don't have headers.

I have had my 69 Barracuda's PS box in and out several times. As I remember, it is held in with three bolts. No mystery, you just take them out. There are no nuts on the other side of the bolts, they just come out. The bolt heads on mine were rather strange (original??). They were 12 point, and a 1/2" 12 point socket fit fine. I also remember they are a bit tricky to get to, because I have headers. Nothing an extension and a U-joint can't handle. Make sure the Pitman Arm and steering shaft linkage are disconnected first. Then keep in mind the PS box is HEAVY, so be prepared for the weight. If you have headers, getting the three bolts out is not the problem. Getting the box past the headers is the fun part. I have to take all the bolts out of the driver's sider header, then hold the steering box with one hand, hold the header with the other, and wiggle everything just right until it slips out. For your sake, I hope you don't have headers.
Ok well I was confused as to how to take it off because I thought that the 2 nuts on the inside of the k frame had to come off I didn't notice they are solid mounted, and I did know that there where 3 I just didn't have a problem with the one by it's self so my only delema I have now is I do in fact have headers so I'm having a huge pain getting it out. The new one will easier to get in because the manual gearbox is smaller. So thanks for your help man.

Thomas

-
Back