Power steering gearbox

-

John Ayers

SecondCuda705
Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda. I had the power steering box rebuilt last year. I have a lot of play in the steering wheel. I have adjusted the sector shaft. Is there anything else to adjust to get this play out of the steering wheel?

Just to be sure.… is the rest of the steering components up to par? Play in tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, etc can lead to play in the steering wheel as well. That's all I have, unless the power steering box still has a fault after being rebuilt

Make sure the play is actually in the steering box. Have someone else move the steering wheel while you observe the steering action under the hood. Things to keep an eye on:
Pot coupler- the "flex joint" at the end of the steering column where it attaches to the steering box. Is a normal wear part and rebuild parts are commonly available.
Pitman arm- the steering arm that attaches to the bottom of the steering box. Watch it as your friend moves the steering wheel and make sure the "ball joint" type end isn't showing signs of movement.
Tie rod ends, idler arm, ball joints- same test as before, look for slop as things move!
Lower control arm bushings- if everything else is performing adequately, watch the lower control arms as the steering is moved; if bad, you can actually see the control arm shifting on it's mount.
These are just basic checks and not a guarantee, but if the box was properly rebuilt, the chances are the problem lies elsewhere.

Just to be sure.… is the rest of the steering components up to par? Play in tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, etc can lead to play in the steering wheel as well. That's all I have, unless the power steering box still has a fault after being rebuilt
I actually watched the steering shaft while moving the steering wheel. The shaft will move before the piston even tries to move the sector shaft. It’s the back and forth play in the steering shaft that I’m trying to resolve. Pitman arm and all components in the steering linkage are in good shape.

Who rebuilt your box? Steer and Gear? Firm Feel?

You are having the engine running while checking? If not, do it.

Yes as above, the engine has to be running to fill the box with oil and force the power-piston to take up the slack internally.
With the engine running, observe the steering downshaft at the coupler. It should move in and out as you change steering directions, just a little. This is normal and must be there to some extent. This action is what activates the boost control valve, and tells the steering box to start boosting.
However, there must NOT be any play in the coupler itself, which could indicate a wrongly assembled coupler.
At the steering wheel,this total play should involve less than 45*, IMO. Unless you have a modified box, then it could be less. Mine is about 30*, because I added several reaction discs to the box, to reduce the assist. This makes the box feel similar to a manual box but the faster ratio of the PS box is way more fun. And I don't get that Fifth-Avenue Super Boost.

Yes as above, the engine has to be running to fill the box with oil and force the power-piston to take up the slack internally.
With the engine running, observe the steering downshaft at the coupler. It should move in and out as you change steering directions, just a little. This is normal and must be there to some extent. This action is what activates the boost control valve, and tells the steering box to start boosting.
However, there must NOT be any play in the coupler itself, which could indicate a wrongly assembled coupler.
At the steering wheel,this total play should involve less than 45*, IMO. Unless you have a modified box, then it could be less. Mine is about 30*, because I added several reaction discs to the box, to reduce the assist. This makes the box feel similar to a manual box but the faster ratio of the PS box is way more fun. And I don't get that Fifth-Avenue Super Boost.
I have been watching You-Tube videos from Chrysler Master Tech power steering adjustments from 1970. It shows how to adjust the sector shaft but is does not say if this needs to be done with the engine idling or off. I will start the engine and check this play again. I have rebuilt the coupler and adusted the steering shaft to the coupler at 13/16.
When you say the total play should be less than 45*, I am assuming you mean degrees? Thanks for getting back with me. Not a lot of Mopar guys around here.

My service manual says the end play is set to zero with the centerlink disconnected, and with the engine idling. Then, it says to preload that sucker 3/8 to 1/2 turn further. That's what it says.

I've never done it that way. I set it with the engine off, centerlink connected,and zero the endplay, then add just a scosh of play.
When adjusting the sector shaft, you have to be very careful to have the steering box exactly centered between the left and right internal stops, and double very careful to not set it up too tight; better it is for it to be a lil loose.
In the center of the box the teeth on sector shaft are a lil further apart (and I think a lil shorter, but might just be wear, IDK). This makes the on-center feel just a lil less sensitive.
If the end play is too tight;
and on the hiway,
then as soon as you turn the steering the slightest bit, the boost control will become active, and you will oversteer. Then because the sector shaft is now loaded, the steering will not want to return to on-center by itself. This results in you chasing the car around from one side of the lane to the other. At 65 mph this gets old in a hurry. Don't be shy to leave some play in there.

Someone once posted " better to be two skooses too loose, then one skoose too tight. A very wise man, Del, posted that!!

My service manual says the end play is set to zero with the centerlink disconnected, and with the engine idling. Then, it says to preload that sucker 3/8 to 1/2 turn further. That's what it says.

I've never done it that way. I set it with the engine off, centerlink connected,and zero the endplay, then add just a scosh of play.
When adjusting the sector shaft, you have to be very careful to have the steering box exactly centered between the left and right internal stops, and double very careful to not set it up too tight; better it is for it to be a lil loose.
In the center of the box the teeth on sector shaft are a lil further apart (and I think a lil shorter, but might just be wear, IDK). This makes the on-center feel just a lil less sensitive.
If the end play is too tight;
and on the hiway,
then as soon as you turn the steering the slightest bit, the boost control will become active, and you will oversteer. Then because the sector shaft is now loaded, the steering will not want to return to on-center by itself. This results in you chasing the car around from one side of the lane to the other. At 65 mph this gets old in a hurry. Don't be shy to leave some play in there.
Thanks for the information. I just wasn't sure if having a little play was normal with the power steering.

I put rebuilt p.s. unit in a couple of years ago and car drove very loose down the road. Came back and checking everything out I saw how much play I had from steering wheel into coupler. Turns out I had put the shoes into the coupler incorrectly :BangHead: and I would have sworn I did it right. Anyway I pulled coupler apart and corrected my mistake and everything was better. As AJ/Forms said easy to do and car will drive like a boat like that.

I put rebuilt p.s. unit in a couple of years ago and car drove very loose down the road. Came back and checking everything out I saw how much play I had from steering wheel into coupler. Turns out I had put the shoes into the coupler incorrectly :BangHead: and I would have sworn I did it right. Anyway I pulled coupler apart and corrected my mistake and everything was better. As AJ/Forms said easy to do and car will drive like a boat like that.
Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions. I did have the shoes in backwards as well. They came in the vehicle like that when purchased. I’ve been reading past posts from members regarding this issue. I still have a little play in the piston so I ordered a PS gear from firm feel. Thanks again to everyone who helped me.

Your new box, if a Chrysler, will also have play in it. Maybe a different play, but play none the less. Don't send it back; they have to have play in then to activate the control valve, to provide the boost. And it is normal for the steering input shaft to go up and down/in and out; that's why there are sliding shoes in the coupler.

Your new box, if a Chrysler, will also have play in it. Maybe a different play, but play none the less. Don't send it back; they have to have play in then to activate the control valve, to provide the boost. And it is normal for the steering input shaft to go up and down/in and out; that's why there are sliding shoes in the coupler.
Thanks! I appreciate the effort you put into answering all my questions. It’s getting better all the time! Thanks again!

-
Back