Power Steering Power Down Mod

-

Mike69cuda

Mopar Moron
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i just did the Saginaw pump mod by adding washers in the regulator. Mine had about 0.08 in of washers in it already, so it looks like someone had already tried it. I bought the kit on Amazon. I added two more 0.20 in washers for a total of about 0.120. It made some difference, but not as much as I expected. Would like to tune it down some more. I read somewhere that 0.125 (1/8) was the maximum. Don’t know if that is true. Anybody have some experience with this?

Don’t have a pressure gauge & don’t really want to buy one for a one time use.

reducing pressure isn't a great way for reducing power steering effort.

There are reaction springs in the steering box control valve that allow movement and open ports when the steering is turned. Reducing the pump pressure requires these port to open further so you are introducing more play in the steering. Plus you will still get too much assistance at speed as less effort is required to turn the steering.

(with the engine not running turn the steering back and fourth and you'll see how much movement is in the system with no pressure)

Making the reaction springs heavier in the steering box is the best way but obviously not easy to do. The reason springs would be better is that at cruise where only light steering inputs are required the heavier springs would resist opening the ports and be much closer to manual steering. Only when heavier steering inputs are required for manoeuvring will the spring pressure be overcome opening the ports and adding assistance. (I did exactly this with a Mustang but the control valve is easy to access)

It's a shame there isn't a kit available to 'tune' the power steering box to reduce assistance for Mopar steering.

reducing pressure isn't a great way for reducing power steering effort.

There are reaction springs in the steering box control valve that allow movement and open ports when the steering is turned. Reducing the pump pressure requires these port to open further so you are introducing more play in the steering. Plus you will still get too much assistance at speed as less effort is required to turn the steering.

(with the engine not running turn the steering back and fourth and you'll see how much movement is in the system with no pressure)

Making the reaction springs heavier in the steering box is the best way but obviously not easy to do. The reason springs would be better is that at cruise where only light steering inputs are required the heavier springs would resist opening the ports and be much closer to manual steering. Only when heavier steering inputs are required for manoeuvring will the spring pressure be overcome opening the ports and adding assistance. (I did exactly this with a Mustang but the control valve is easy to access)

It's a shame there isn't a kit available to 'tune' the power steering box to reduce assistance for Mopar steering.

Agreed, but this is a $10 almost no effort improvement compared to $400 and a lot of work fix to buy a firm feel box or similar. Poor people have poor ways......

-
Back