Power steering problem slant 6 225

-
Reaction score
Hi I have a 1967 Plymouth Valiant with a 225 slant 6.
The power steering has stopped working. It drives as though it has manual steering, very heavy to turn the wheel. There is power steering fluid, the belt is intact and the pulley on the front of the pump turns. However, when you take the lid off and look into the pump there is no fluid movement, see pictures.

I am in Ireland and the car is in Sweden so I wont be able to look at the car or take any more pictures until the summer. When I go back I would like to fix the problem quickly so I can drive it. If anyone has any ideas of what is wrong or what I need to do to fix it I would appreciate your help!
20181231_133835.jpg
20181231_133843.jpg
20181231_133802.jpg
20181231_133808.jpg
20181231_133826.jpg

Since the belt is turning the PS pulley and there is fluid in the reservoir, I’d say there is an internal problem with the pump. Someone is bound to have a working pump that would be willing to ship to you in Ireland. One of our Swedish members could probably help you as well. Ulf @65dartcharger in Sweden probably knows someone with a pump

EDIT: welcome to FABO!

Another option is to order a rebuild kit from rockauto and have pump rebuilt. Looking at the pics the pump is made by a company called Federal. In the Rockauto online catalog they will list it as a Chrysler pump. The other pump listing would be a Saginaw pump.

I would say the pressure spool valve in the pump is probably stuck in bypass, and just dumping pump pressure back to the inlet side of the pump.

Since the belt is turning the PS pulley and there is fluid in the reservoir, I’d say there is an internal problem with the pump. Someone is bound to have a working pump that would be willing to ship to you in Ireland. One of our Swedish members could probably help you as well. Ulf @65dartcharger in Sweden probably knows someone with a pump

EDIT: welcome to FABO!

I guess it must be an internal problem of some sort. Thank you! Good to have a mopar contact, everyone I know are Chevy or Ford guys, hopefully pumps go cheap if it needs to be changed.

Another option is to order a rebuild kit from rockauto and have pump rebuilt. Looking at the pics the pump is made by a company called Federal. In the Rockauto online catalog they will list it as a Chrysler pump. The other pump listing would be a Saginaw pump.

I would say the pressure spool valve in the pump is probably stuck in bypass, and just dumping pump pressure back to the inlet side of the pump.

Is the pressure spool valve on the back side of the pump? You unscrew the hose that goes into the back and its behind there? I think my brother added a spacer there on his Dart to lower the assist of the power steering.

Spool valve is inside the pump assembly on a federal pump. It regulates and maintains a set pressure. Your brother must have the saginaw pump, its valve is on the pressure side and threads out of the pump.

In order to ck the bypass valve you need to remove the reservoir and you will see as snap ring about the size of a dime. Pull the snap ring and push down on the piece and let it spring back until it pops out. The piece on top contains the O-ring and the valve and spring are below it. Ck for trash in the valve and bore. You can clean up the valve with some fine emery cloth to make sure it moves freely. You'll need a rebuild kit on hand for the new O-rings.

In order to ck the bypass valve you need to remove the reservoir and you will see as snap ring about the size of a dime. Pull the snap ring and push down on the piece and let it spring back until it pops out. The piece on top contains the O-ring and the valve and spring are below it. Ck for trash in the valve and bore. You can clean up the valve with some fine emery cloth to make sure it moves freely. You'll need a rebuild kit on hand for the new O-rings.

Thanks, I found this thread I will use.
Federal steering pump rebuild advice needed

Ok so i took apart the pump, which i know now is a trw pump (very similar to the federal pump).
There was a snap ring infront of the spool valve i removed. I found some pieces of rubber from what i presume came from an o ring that is broken.
BUT i cant get the spool valve out i can press the spool valve further into the pump and compress the spring that is behind it but it just wont come out.

how do you get the spool valve out?

Maybe grab it with your needle nose and lightly smack the pliers. Its probably stuck on a piece of o ring.

Thanks, have you taken one of these apart before is it just supposed to come out easily.
I dont want to apply to much pressure and break it.

Thanks, have you taken one of these apart before is it just supposed to come out easily.
I dont want to apply to much pressure and break it.
Sorry no i haven't but i did go on line and found a downloadable ( is that a word ) ? Pdf service manual if you cant find it ill do my best to take some snap shots of the disassembly and post them for you.
Screenshot_20190629-111434_Drive.jpg

Smack it down with a deep socket and let it pop back up unrestricted. It took quite a few hits few for me but it finally popped out. Ck the snap ring grove for any burrs that might be stopping it also. Its a close tolerance.

Thanks i got it apart and cleaned it.
The o ring that broke wasnt from the power pump it was from the steering box so i just cleaned the pump and put it back on the car and now its perfect. :thumbsup:

Ok so it broke again.
Everything was perfect i drove it to the shop parked and when i tried to start it then the power steering was broken again. But now it had a weird whining noise.
I think its probably more pieces of gaskets in it from the steering box.
So i suppose the only thing i can do is find a rebuild kit for it and take it apart and replace the o ring.
I will update.

I took it apart and it turns out there was a bent snap ring so i bended it back and im going to put it in and hopefully it will work.

ok so i took it apart again and everything seems good there arent any missing o rings.
The powersteering only works when you rev the engine.
I dont know what could be wrong?

-
Back