power steering pulley install??

-

cdavis

Reaction score
How do you install the power steering pulley on a pump from a 68 Barracuda with a 318? There isn't a threaded hole for the installation tool. It's just a solid shaft. Didn't want to just press it on for fear of damaging the reservoir.

You`ll have to remove the resevoir, and backup the shaft only, press on.
But IIRC, the shaft is inside a housing and unacessable without further dissassembly, in which I said f it and pressed it on, been running it for years, your call.

Go to local auto parts store and borrow a puller/installer . You will have to leave a deposit equal to its value.... I just did a few pumps and these tools work slick ! Make sure you grease up the threads on the tool before install.

How did you get the old one off ?

I didnt read carefully... You have a pump with no pilot hole... A federal I assume.

The quick way is to heat the pulley and freeze the pump shaft and the pulley will slide right on but you have to be real quick...But it is your call pressing it on is an option as quoted....Bill

I finally broke down and bought a pulley puller/installer for such an application. It was about $70 and it worked just fine for both pulling the old one off and for installing the new one. Bring your patience and it'll work just fine for you.

I finally broke down and bought a pulley puller/installer for such an application. It was about $70 and it worked just fine for both pulling the old one off and for installing the new one. Bring your patience and it'll work just fine for you.
But like he said the shaft doesn't have a threaded hole for the installer...Bill

won't work on none threaded shaft

Thanks for the info everyone. Nice to know about the service manual link. I didn't want to remove the reservoir until I was sure, the pump had just been rebuilt.

Thanks for the info everyone. Nice to know about the service manual link. I didn't want to remove the reservoir until I was sure, the pump had just been rebuilt.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I need some help. I unfortunately also have the power steering pump with a solid shaft. Meaning no center threaded hole in which to install the pulley from. Has anyone successfully installed a pulley on this trype of pump with a pump tear down? I know I can not use a press against the rear housing as it will damage the bearings or bend the back plate.

How do you install the power steering pulley on a pump from a 68 Barracuda with a 318? There isn't a threaded hole for the installation tool. It's just a solid shaft. Didn't want to just press it on for fear of damaging the reservoir.
Ok hope this helps the next guy. So I was able to put the pulley on. It eas keyed but required some significant hand pressure to start it. I needed to expose some threads first to start the nut to draw it in. Not easy because you don’t want to damage those bearings. I had to walk/rock it on by hand to get it to move down the shaft.

E4B3D2BE-9507-4F0A-875F-65F4B780D798.jpeg

2BF65FB7-6E58-4BA8-929C-CF4B4A8CA671.jpeg

EA7987B8-11F7-4D3C-9725-8271C1D5B6C1.jpeg

We thought you had the Federal pump with pressed on pulley. Your Saginaw pulley is held in place with key and a nut. You could have cleaned the bore and keyway to slip fit that pulley onto the shaft.

We thought you had the Federal pump with pressed on pulley. Your Saginaw pulley is held in place with key and a nut. You could have cleaned the bore and keyway to slip fit that pulley onto the shaft.
I cleaned and lubricated both. Do you mean remove the key then assemble and drive the key in after pulley is slip fitted?

Key steel is a very close slip fit. It does get distorted with time/use though. I've seen keyed shafts on machinery that were fecked up from continuous drive in one direction that they wouldn't come apart.
All I'm saying is when the Saginaw pump was built the pulley would slid right onto shaft with key in place. It's wasn't a press/interference fitment.

Key steel is a very close slip fit. It does get distorted with time/use though. I've seen keyed shafts on machinery that were fecked up from continuous drive in one direction that they wouldn't come apart.
All I'm saying is when the Saginaw pump was built the pulley would slid right onto shaft with key in place. It's wasn't a press/interference fitment.
Got it. I wasn’t sure if the key was supposed to be removed after disassembly and then put in AFTER the puller was installed to lock it in place. I guess some filling of the key would have made it a smoother engagement. Next time! Thanks!!

-
Back