Power steering pump causing issues?????

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
This is a strange issue I’ve ran into and I’m Not sure whether it’s power steering box or pump that has created an issue involving the steering wheel wanting to ram all the way to the left when the car it up in blocks and causing the pump to screech and forcing the engine to die. This was a driving car a 1 1/2 years ago and never had this issue. I had converted the /6 to a commando and had to use a different pump. Is it possible that the pump is what’s causing the issue, or the box? Would s Pump from a BB not function correctly since they spin different directions? I’m not sure what the pump came off of but looked correct for years I neede.

I’ve pulled the valve off the top and cleaned it out really good. I’ve tried loosening and tapping the valve up and down but it won’t do anything at all. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I suppose there could be a fault with the pressure control valve in the back of the pump. I've seen some blow the high pressure hose apart yet the fault was inside the steering gear ( rack and pinion ).
There were a few different brand pumps attached to the same steering gears. What pump doesn't run clockwise?

Last edited:
It's definitely in the box, I think the spool valve is stuck. I have also had the pivot lever rod cause problems, It has a slot cut in it and it gets smashed together after time. I have taken a screw driver and tap it down in the rod and spread it open and stopped the wandering problem.
Steering gear.jpg

I suppose there could be a fault with the pressure control valve in the back of the pump. I've seen some blow the high pressure hose apart yet the fault was inside the steering gear ( rack and pinion ).
There were a few different brand pumps attached to the same steering gears. What pump doesn't run clockwise?
Maybe I’m thinking of the distributor on bb that turn different than Sb so thought that might mean it turns counterclockwise.

Jake

It's definitely in the box, I think the spool valve is stuck. I have also had the pivot lever rod cause problems, It has a slot cut in it and it gets smashed together after time. I have taken a screw driver and tap it down in the rod and spread it open and stopped the wandering problem.View attachment 1715142357
Thanks. Looks like I’ll need to pull it out.

Jake

If you remove the top of the box you need to have it calibrated when reinstalled. Loosen it and move the valve when the car is shut off and you will change the equalization of the valve when restarted. Been there done that. never take the top off the box

Yup, they can be a night mare to get centered again, in fact I’ve had 2 on the hoist and turned the wheels left and right while putting in headers and that problem came up. This was in the early 90s so I just swapped boxes. Kim

If you remove the top of the box you need to have it calibrated when reinstalled. Loosen it and move the valve when the car is shut off and you will change the equalization of the valve when restarted. Been there done that. never take the top off the box

You can't fix it if you don't take the top off, it's not a problem to adjust when you put it back together. Snug the bolts down so it doesn't leak put the front on stands and start it up DON'T reach through the steering wheel it could turn and wack your arm if the valve is off center, then take a small hammer and tap the valve assy from front to back and the wheels will turn right and left. When you get it centered tighten it up and shut off the engine start it up and see if the wheel kicks right or left if it does loosen the bolts and slightly tap the valve and retest till the wheel does not kick ether way and your set. I've done it many many times and that's how you do it.

You can't fix it if you don't take the top off, it's not a problem to adjust when you put it back together. Snug the bolts down so it doesn't leak put the front on stands and start it up DON'T reach through the steering wheel it could turn and wack your arm if the valve is off center, then take a small hammer and tap the valve assy from front to back and the wheels will turn right and left. When you get it centered tighten it up and shut off the engine start it up and see if the wheel kicks right or left if it does loosen the bolts and slightly tap the valve and retest till the wheel does not kick ether way and your set. I've done it many many times and that's how you do it.
You are correct . But I just never messed with them. I did reach through the wheel. Luckily it was not a column shift car. It would have taken my arm off.

LOL it's really not funny I've always learned the hard way
and sometimes it hurts.

-
Back