Power Steering Pump Choice

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm in an abyss with regard to selecting a PS pump and properly matching various PS components. According to my '68 shop manual, there were three different pumps used; described as .94, .96 and 1.2 I don't know what those numbers indicate, but I'm guessing that one could be a Thompson pump, one a Federal pump, and one a Saginaw pump. The manual says that the .94 was used only with the 273 and 318 engines.
The PS gear box I will use is '73 (I think!), so the info from my '68 manual may not be applicable. And, so on and so forth......
The real question is this: I'm going to use the '73 PS gear, but I don't have a pump at all (was not on the '68 Dart when I bought it). What pump should I buy? It's going in my '68 Dart; I'm using '73 Duster K/gear/links/brakes, etc.

What engine, what generation of water pump, effects bracketing, and pulley, and belt configuration. So the pump on a engine is more important that matching a pump to the steering gear.

Now trying to determine what parts I'm needing to have a complete PS pump setup. Literally the only part I have in the whole system is the gear box itself. No pump, no pulley, no brackets, belts, hoses...nothing. So far, I haven't found anything in either my shop manual or the parts manual that shows what else I need to locate. I don't know what I don't know. I have a call in to Wildcat Auto Wrecking (they work closely with Firm Feel) for some help, but I will still need to have some idea of what to tell them I need. Anyone know where there is an exploded view of the whole setup?

-
Back