Power Steering Pump Hell

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
So in my quest to SOMEDAY have a '75 383/727/8.75 Scamp, I'm running into trouble with power steering pumps and lack of experience.
Initially, I rebuilt the Federal pump that was originally on my car (225/904/7.25), painted it up real nice, got the correct BB bracket, and learned that the shaft is longer for a slant 6 pump. The PS pulley was extended beyond my stock 2 groove pulley on my 383.
So...
I picked up a Saginaw pump from a friend, complete with BB bracket, rebuilt the pump, got it looking tidy, installed on the engine, and now the PS pulley isn't far out enough to line up!
The water pump housing is an 1965 aluminum hemi SS unit. I got the alternator lined up with the correct bracket from Mega Parts. What am I missing?
Saginaw pump 1.JPG
Saginaw pump 2.JPG.PNG

First off, I would figure out how far off you are with the big block pump. Put a straight edge across your crank pulley and see what the offset is. Let's say it's 1/2" for argument's sake. I would then get/make some 1/2 inch spacers to sandwich in between the front bracket and water pump, along with 1/2" longer bolts. Then add a couple more between the rear bracket and the back of the P.S. pump, effectively spacing the pump out and into alignment.
Hard to say otherwise without looking at it in person.

First off, I would figure out how far off you are with the big block pump. Put a straight edge across your crank pulley and see what the offset is. Let's say it's 1/2" for argument's sake. I would then get/make some 1/2 inch spacers to sandwich in between the front bracket and water pump, along with 1/2" longer bolts. Then add a couple more between the rear bracket and the back of the P.S. pump, effectively spacing the pump out and into alignment.
Hard to say otherwise without looking at it in person.

There's no way he can do that. The pump is sammiched between brackets. Dude, you have the wrong pump housing. Sorry, that's just the fact. So you either need the......I THINK it's 67 and up housing, OR you need the 66 and back p/s brackets. One or the other. I think my dates are correct. Someone will chime in if I am wrong with that....but regardless there IS an early and late housing and they must be used with their matching counter part brackets. Ask me how I found out. lol

I take that back......Yeah you COULD space it forward, too. You'll have to put spacers between the pump and rear bracket and then spacers between the water pump housing and front bracket. Kinda a pain, but that will be the most cost effective way to correct the mismatched parts.

Thanks for all the quick replies fellas! Yes, I was thinking about 1/2" off, but I will measure and probably go with spacers as you pointed out Professor Fate!
Rusty, you think that tin can body change in years would make a difference? Seems like the guts are the same, as in where the special bolts mount to the body. No?
Maybe some had a shorter/longer shaft?

Hey Dano, yes I think it's the correct one. It doesn't look like the one in the link you posted, so I'm good there - I think.

I take that back......Yeah you COULD space it forward, too. You'll have to put spacers between the pump and rear bracket and then spacers between the water pump housing and front bracket. Kinda a pain, but that will be the most cost effective way to correct the mismatched parts.

Good point, I forgot the B/RB is a "U" shape and the difference between the early body vs the "can ham". I'd ask my dad what he did on his 440 as he has the later pump but he has Covid right now.

Good point, I forgot the B/RB is a "U" shape and the difference between the early body vs the "can ham". I'd ask my dad what he did on his 440 as he has the later pump but he has Covid right now.

Putting out the good thoughts for your dad. Nasty stuff.

That sucks. Sure hope he gets better.

It looks that if he were to cut the upper mounting ears off on front and back bracket then literally move them the thickness of the bracket forward and re weld using some washers on the lower bolts.... that pulley would lineup with the crank.

What year is the sag pump and bracket. The housing is wider for 72 down. If u have a 73 up pump and bracket that may be ur problem. Or maybe ur bottom pulley is from a small block. I see u have the wrong crank pulley. See it’s for a 3/8s belt. The p/s is for a 7-16s belt. Also do u see where the 2 groves are spaced apart on the crank? That’s small block for sure. Kim

Last edited:
IMG_0758.JPG

Late model pump with early crank and WP pulleys. change one or the others. Early pump has the pulley in front of the nut.

Last edited:
My lazy *** would have to go out to the shop and take the pic lol but when I had the 512 slated for my car I purchased the correct pump. I can't remember the difference other than I researched it and there it was on Ebay. It was the correct alignment. And it is a Saginaw pump.....

-
Back