Power Steering Pump - Help Identify?

-

Hilderbrand1983

Reaction score
I'm "stuck" waiting on parts in my rebuild of my 67 Dodge Dart 270, so I thought I'd clean and check the seals on my power steering pump. I've got the FSM, and it is not helpful as far as identifying the kind of pump I have. A few pictures of the pump is question are here:

The only marking on the body of the pump is the small WCP-diamond stamp. Any ideas on what kind of pump I'm working with here?

Get a picture of the back side, it does look like a Federal but without seeing the back it is hard to tell for sure.

Here's the back ... getting the housing off of it was a beast. LOTS of gunk holding that thing together. However, the inside is remarkably clean.

I'm pretty sure it's a .96 pump listed in the FSM. I'm thinking it'll be a good idea to replace any gaskets / seals in this thing. How can I identify what sort of parts to buy for this pump?

TRW

PS Pumps Compared.jpg

Thanks a bunch! Any leads on where a man could get a kit to replace various o-rings and such? What is in there now "looks" OK, but I have no way of telling how old it is. I'd be more comfortable just replacing them and being done with it.

Thanks a bunch! Any leads on where a man could get a kit to replace various o-rings and such? What is in there now "looks" OK, but I have no way of telling how old it is. I'd be more comfortable just replacing them and being done with it.
Does it leak? is the steering ok?
NAPA has rebuild kits

Alan

Does it leak? is the steering ok?
NAPA has rebuild kits

It hasn't run for nearly two years. I don't remember that it leaked, but then again, it could have been so caked in gunk that the grime stopped any leak. The steering was very, very loose. I remember being able to drive and turn using a single finger. I'm assuming that this is not normal.

It hasn't run for nearly two years. I don't remember that it leaked, but then again, it could have been so caked in gunk that the grime stopped any leak. The steering was very, very loose. I remember being able to drive and turn using a single finger. I'm assuming that this is not normal.
The single finger steering on these is normal, if it isn't leaking I'd just clean it and use it, if it leaks then deal with it.

Alan

Richard Ehrenberg wrote an article about an easy adjustment to reduce the boost level on these. Basically, undo the pressure fitting and add a washer or two. I could post it if you're interested.

Richard Ehrenberg wrote an article about an easy adjustment to reduce the boost level on these. Basically, undo the pressure fitting and add a washer or two. I could post it if you're interested.
Thanks! I'd be interested in reading it.

If you dont like the super easy mopar steering, switch to a smaller diameter steering wheel. If you want to stay stock your stuck modifying the pump pressure. I think its just a matter of shimming the bypass valve.

I dont believe you can shim the TRW. I don't recall seeing shims in mine.
If you dont like the super easy mopar steering, switch to a smaller diameter steering wheel. If you want to stay stock your stuck modifying the pump pressure. I think its just a matter of shimming the bypass valve.

-
Back