Power Steering Pump Overflow

-

PistolGrip

Reaction score
I'm putting together a non-running (at least since I got it) '66 Barracuda 273 2bbl. It came with power steering. I 'primed' the system by adding power steering fluid while slowly working the wheels back & forth (wheels off of the ground). I stopped adding fluid when it got to the bottom of the neck of the pump. The dipstick shows fluid just below the 'add cold' level on the dipstick. I tightened the cap/dipstick & turned the wheels back & forth & fluid overflowed over the top of the neck of the pump - as if it was overfilled & I don't know why. The cap looks to be in good shape....nearly new in appearance, screws on nicely, and says 'vented' on the top, but I can't see where/how the air would be able to escape. Actually I don't know for sure if it is the right cap...or the right pump. I've never messed with power steering before, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Here's a couple of pictures of the pump, & the cap. Are they correct? I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. :( Anyone?

Power steering pump 1.jpg

Power steerein cap dipstick.jpg

Power steering cap vented.jpg

Probably was trying to push a lot of air out. Fill it to the bottom of the neck and start it, turn the wheels back and forth. You will probably see a lot of foaming of the fluid. Let it rest and do it again till you feel like the airing of the fluid is gone.

Last edited:
I don't usually see a dipstick, just fill it to the bottom of the neck (completely covering the pump) and you should be good.

I have had the same thing happen. Typically there is air on the system and it gets aireted (SP?) What I usually try to do is spin the pump with a cordless drill till it developed pressure. Turn wheel a few degrees slowly each direction. Preferably while pump is being spun.

On one car it took a week to get all the foam out.

PistolGrip any updates for those of us with the same issue?
Sorry, I can't add anything. As best I could tell, It quit leaking & performed just fine after I followed the advice on adding a little more fluid & 'working it in' by turning the wheels back & forth. I had bought some Lucas power steering fluid with a sealer additive & was going to try that....but when it quit leaking, I just left everything alone & didn't use the sealer. I sold the car about a month ago & haven't heard anything about any problem. I know things rarely fix themselves, but.........

Sold car... Problem fixed.... Ultimate in shotgunning a repair!

Hah! I took the Bcuda out for its first test drive today and had the very same experience- same ps pump, even the Lucas. Fluid was foamy and venting from the cap. Going to revisit it in the morning.

Thanks for the updates.
PistolGrip reports success with purging air via steering worked side to side.
Dana67Dart got rid of the problem literally...
and sounds like
geminimotors is joining in with a number of leak/overflow? issues yet unsolved.
Covers about all options :)
Will try to follow PistolGrips path and report back on the thread with results

The engine needs to be running when you turn the wheel lock to lock. And it’s much easier if the front end is off the ground.

-
Back