Power steering question

-

mghikas

Reaction score
hey guys,
Hope it’s not a silly question, but got a supposed recoed ps pump from the states (I’m in oz), it’s all lined up but on the odd occasion will still whine.
Question I have, is if I just remove the belt and drive the car, will I cause any damage to anything or will I just be back to manual steering?
Cheers

A silly question:
Did you bleed out the air form the system?
Is it possible that you are under belt tension? Or possibly over tension and stressing water pump/alternator bearings?

I'm always amazed at how difficult it is to determine from where a "noise" is originating

A silly question:
Did you bleed out the air form the system?
Is it possible that you are under belt tension? Or possibly over tension and stressing water pump/alternator bearings?

I'm always amazed at how difficult it is to determine from where a "noise" is originating
System has been bled, I’ll have a play with the tension of the belt and see how we go
Cheers

Do it at your own risk, but years ago I added a teaspoon of STP to a pump that began to whine and it quit making noise. A couple years later noise recurred , again stopped with additional STP. Sold vehicle with origional pump still working but second engine , only about 225,000 miles.
Yote

Do it at your own risk, but years ago I added a teaspoon of STP to a pump that began to whine and it quit making noise. A couple years later noise recurred , again stopped with additional STP. Sold vehicle with origional pump still working but second engine , only about 225,000 miles.
Yote
STP? You’re talking about the motor oil yeah? Or is STP something else you’re referring too?

I can't see how STP could hurt anything. For that matter, Marvel Mystery Oil could do it as well. Check to be sure there isn't another cause first....like: could someone have spilled power steering fluid on the "V" belt?? Worth a look

hey guys,
Hope it’s not a silly question, but got a supposed recoed ps pump from the states (I’m in oz), it’s all lined up but on the odd occasion will still whine.
Question I have, is if I just remove the belt and drive the car, will I cause any damage to anything or will I just be back to manual steering?
Cheers
You will not damage anything. It will be manual steering on steroids. Maybe not quite like two flat tires ALL the time, but low-speed maneuvering will certainly give your arms a workout. I run all my belts as loose as possible until they slip, then a little tighter. In this way they last for many,many years, and the bearings do too.
I have found the Federal pump a little more whiney than the Saginaw. The Saginaw pump has an oval neck, compared to the circular-neck federal.

But the PS box will pump most of the fluid out of itself if you close-loop the inlet to the outlet, when you cycle it to alternate full-locks. Enough will remain inside to lube the guts, but it will be messy.

You will not damage anything. It will be manual steering on steroids. Maybe not quite like two flat tires ALL the time, but low-speed maneuvering will certainly give your arms a workout. I run all my belts as loose as possible until they slip, then a little tighter. In this way they last for many,many years, and the bearings do too.
I have found the Federal pump a little more whiney than the Saginaw. The Saginaw pump has an oval neck, compared to the circular-neck federal.

But the PS box will pump most of the fluid out of itself if you close-loop the inlet to the outlet, when you cycle it to alternate full-locks. Enough will remain inside to lube the guts, but it will be messy.
Thanks AJ, can I ask what sort of PS fluid you use, I’m running a federal pump

I use plain old Dextron II
I wanted to use the Federal cuz of it's IMO superior design. But it just couldn't keep up, and nothing is worse than being in a skill-testing situation and then suddenly loosing boost. I took it apart,rebuilt it, and replaced the PR valve but it still couldn't keep up.
I swapped on a /6 Saginaw with proper V8 brackets and was home free.

-
Back