Power Steering Questions

-

Red_Duster

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Now that I have the 440 Duster project running well, I'm looking at making it a little more comfortable and I need some help/ideas for adding power steering.

Currently, it looks like I have plenty of space. The engine if offset quite a bit to the passengers side, it has Schumacher headers and the battery has been relocated. Car was originally power steering /6 that the previous owner converted to manual. It has the power steering shaft with the adapter, so that should make it easier, right? Its currently set up as floor shift- not sure if that makes a difference.
I know I would need:
-Power Steering Box
-Power Steering pump (is the big block and small block pump different?)
-Pressure and return Lines
-2 groove crank pulley

Am I missing anything? Any thoughts from the community? I'm running an 18x9 in the front with 255's and turning it in parking lots in a nightmare.
Thanks!

Water Pump 3.jpg

You should be able to buy the lower pulley from Mancini Racing. I have a new set of the PS pump brackets that I don't need if you're looking for some. I also have a core pump that you could rebuild or use as a core and I have the 90 degree low profile fitting that is sometimes needed on the A body. Shoot me PM if you're interested in the brackets and core pump. You might consider a Borgeson box rather than a factory one but that will depend on how big the budget is and what parts you have available.

Thanks Andy, I am definitely interested in the brackets. Your the resident big block expert... is there a differencein the big-block and small block pumps? I was looking at the chrome unit on Rockauto with shows up for a '74 Small block Duster, but not a '70 440 roadrunner, so I am thinking there is? I don't always trust the parts look-ups, especially when our cars are so far from factory. I looked at the Borgeson box, but that is going to depend on what everything else runs me whether its in the cards or not.

Here are the brackets, pump and fitting that I was going to post in the for sale section. PM me if you're interested.
DSC_3819 (Large).JPG
DSC_3820 (Large).JPG

There are a couple things you need to familiarize yourself when putting power steering into a big block car (just did it to a 67 dart with a 383)

Depending on what year your engine is may dictate what pump you can use. But only a TRW style or federal pump will work, not the saginaw style. The TRW and federal pump does not have any hose connections on the back of the pump like the saginaw does. I ran into issues with the pressure line interfering with the motor mount with the saginaw pump. I posted pictures in my build thread in my signature.

The pumps are the same between all engines, only the brackets and pulleys differ between engine families. You will need the pump brackets for a big block, as well as a big block pulley, as the pulley offset is different between engine families. The federal pump is a press on pulley. When it comes to the TRW pumps, the pulleys have different part numbers (and maybe the brackets too) depending if the engine is equipped with A/C or not. I dont know what is different, but I know things do differ. The TRW is also a press on pulley, but this one is a little more involved to press the pulley back on as it requires the pump to be disassembled to do so.

you are correct in that you would need a crank pulley with two grooves.

I know there is a guy on ebay that sells rebuilt power steering pumps with all the brackets, pulleys and lines needed to install the system into your car. However he is a little pricey for my blood.

Good luck.

It depends on which motor mount bracket is used. The factory bracket bolted to the front of the block but in the picture that Red Duster posted he isn't using a factory motor mount. So the Saginaw pump should work for him.

It depends on which motor mount bracket is used. The factory bracket bolted to the front of the block but in the picture that Red Duster posted he isn't using a factory motor mount. So the Saginaw pump should work for him.

are you serious?!?! damn I am blind... I guess I need to go back to that eye doctor of mine... So does that mean he has a motor mount that adapts from the slant six K frame to the standard mounting point on the block?

Electric is cool if you can fab the mounts and column, if you go fluid I would definitely go with a Borgeson box.

The Borgeson box is much,much more compact than the factory box. But it does comes at a price.... I was running a Federal pump and it was suggested that I swap over to the Saginaw pump. Lot's of info out there so do your research. Peter Bergman is who I got my box through and gave me the heads up about the Saginaw pump but I am also running Hydroboost brake assist.

JW

it might be a silly question, but what makes it better? Pros/ Cons?
for me, it cleans up the engine compartment and if i would otherwise go with a Borgeson box, and need everything, l'd probably be pretty close in price. but like most of this stuff, a lot of that depends on how much you do yourself. the fab work is fun for me. also i want a tilt column, so i would do it all at the same time

How much fabbing with the Borgeson? is there and adapter, do you cut the column? I've read that on some PS installs.

electric to me is a no go.........you will still have 5.5 turns lock to lock unless you have the quick steering ratio idler and pitman arms, most manual boxes are worn out, another major electric load to deal with.........Borgeson looks like the way to go to me unless you have a numbers matching original car. Just my opinion..........

electric to me is a no go.........you will still have 5.5 turns lock to lock unless you have the quick steering ratio idler and pitman arms, most manual boxes are worn out, another major electric load to deal with.........Borgeson looks like the way to go to me unless you have a numbers matching original car. Just my opinion..........
for got to add i have a 16:1 PST box going in too :) for electrical load, i don't even run a stereo.

Also bb brackets can vary as the water pump housing is wider as in the front to rear. if the lower hose is on the drivers side. Kim

-
Back