Power steering return line too close to Doug’s

-

T-Man700

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a swivel elbow fitting to direct the return hose away from the headers? Believe it’s a 5/8x18 male thread to a 3/8 hose barb. Been looking on line and many parts stores with no luck. It’s a 340 with OEM box and Doug’s headers. Heard the after market boxes are smaller. Thanks

516FCDD5-C80B-41C6-824F-F8B9A6C4E499.jpeg

18147A9E-E1B8-4BA6-994A-4296F2C97BF2.jpeg

37046552-10DE-4D11-90E8-FBB9D73646BF.jpeg

Great post...i have never installed headers but now that guys realize early manifolds are not being made those selling are really trying to cash in. Dougs' headers are a bargain at about $500.00

I have both Doug's and a OEM PS box, and it is close. I zip tied mine a to be a far away as it can and put a piece of heat shielding where its closest to the header tube.

They ( Mopar ) has that valve with a straight fitting you just bolt it on motor on!. I had the same problem I was lucky I was working for Plymouth.

Checked Holley and many hydraulic hose places plus the parts stores. Have one more place to check here in town tomorrow. I’ve spent hours on the internet trying to find a solution. Just concerned about an engine fire.

Getting one with all the correct threads is the problem
Screenshot_20220810-154005.png

If you can't find a hydraulic hose shop with the fitting you need, could the hose barb end be removed and is there enough metal to drill the hole to a 3/8 NPT thread size and tap it?

Try Amazon Hose in Tampa. HUGE warehouse, and they custom make All KINDA hoses/ ends, just shelves, upon shelves, upon row after row of Fittin's

Thinking' about this...maybe a bit of heat and gentle persuasion or get the hacksaw, some tubing and turn the welder on.

I would not use a tapered thread (NPT) and any kind of angled elbow, it may clock in a direction you don't want as it gets tight to seal. There are hydraulic hose fitting that pivot. Its low pressure, so not an issue.

Last edited:
That would work if you find the hyd. Thread to 3/8 NPT adapter or thread your fitting. Then be able to turn the 90 degree fitting in with the header tube there.

I agree with dano. A hydraulic fitting is the best.

I found this picture in summit but a hydraulic shop with your fitting should be able to find a fitting and make you a screw on hose.
ear-at949096erl_ls_xl.jpg

Parker makes a kit measure the many kinds of fitting threads there are, I have it at work so any good hydraulic hose shop should be able to tell you what they are.

This fitting is spring loaded as well. Is there some sort of check valve in the box?
186EC2EF-9C48-486F-8AB0-7D2E231030E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Problem solved! The cop cars, when they started coming out with the firm feel steering boxes, had the aluminum part that comes out of the box straight. Not 45 degree like all of the others. It looks to me that the metal nipple is shorter also. Roughly '75 and up cop cars and possible all of the M Bodies-Diplomat had this straight aluminum pc that that fitting screws into. I might be able to get a picture.

My parts guy says that all M Bodies from 84 to 88 had this straight fitting. You can surely find one of those somewhere? Good luck!

-
Back