Power Steering

-

Zak

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have an 71 340. All is well with the exception of power steering. System is operational but it's way too easy to turn to the point of if I'm traveling on roads it feels like if I make a quick movement left or right I could land in a ditch. It's that easy to turn. Zero resistance. I've seen individual's purchase new steering boxes to try to alleviate the problem, but feedback I've read it didn't change the anomaly. Front suspension is tight (ball joints, tie rods, pitman, idler, front bearings, sway bar bushings). Anyone out there experience this? If so, how did you alleviate it?

Try to change your caster angle to +1-1/2 degrees, 1/8" toe in. Helps in feel but only marginally. The power steering on all Mopar is "feels too soft" vs "firm feel".
Most of us have experienced it. MA Mopar never thought it was a problem.
"feels like if I make a quick movement left or right I could land in a ditch" Yes, you will end up in the ditch.

Try to change your caster angle to +1-1/2 degrees, 1/8" toe in. Helps in feel but only marginally. The power steering on all Mopar is "feels too soft" vs "firm feel".
Most of us have experienced it. MA Mopar never thought it was a problem.
"feels like if I make a quick movement left or right I could land in a ditch" Yes, you will end up in the ditch.

Send your PS box to either Firm Feel or Steer and Gear and ask them to rebuild it to Stage III specs which feels like a modern car.

I have a stage 3, yet to drive. My dad has a stage 1 (both Firm Feel's) in his 66 Coronet 500 with a 440/4 speed and it was a gigantic step forward is steering feel. Firm Feel said a Stage 3 was best in my car with aluminum heads. I've been to their shop. They are awesome guys and are interested in you and your car and not just some customer with money then bye bye.

You can buy the pump it down shim kit on amazon & do it yourself. Really easy.

Edit: Saginaw pump is the only one I have done.

Last edited:
The Saginaw pump you can. Did someone figured out how to on the Thompson, TRW, Federal pumps?

I’ve heard that it can be done on a Federal, but it takes more disassembly.

-
Back