Power Wagon [886] Ambulance wiring question !!

-

SS Lancer

Reaction score
Truck is all original and still wears external amp gauge military had installed and system is charging but at Idle or setting at red lights in gear the gauge bounces pretty good and headlights & gauge lights flicker pretty good is their a simple fix for this or just live with it ?
Thanks Chris

You could use a Headlight relay which take the amp load away from your switch. Read this. I did it in both of my Darts . My headlights are much brighter too .
Catalog

I would pull the alternator and get it tested. I think you will find that it has a diode issue. Does it have a stock Dodge alternator or did they upgrade it ?

Yea pull it and get it tested I am sure you will find that 1 of the 3 phases in the stator is fried or the diodes are toast. With these issues it will charge good enough to keep it running but not enough to keep the battery properly charged. The flickering lights is a clue that 1 phase is not working. Your local Autozone can test it.

Yea pull it and get it tested I am sure you will find that 1 of the 3 phases in the stator is fried or the diodes are toast. With these issues it will charge good enough to keep it running but not enough to keep the battery properly charged. The flickering lights is a clue that 1 phase is not working. Your local Autozone can test it.
I happen to buy a like new 100 amp alternator from a member so I can put it on
( was a spare ) in back of truck for future so if it fixes it I will go get bad one rebuilt from old trust worthy company near me versus some junk from autozone etc .

One thing though it can set for a long time and battery will still crank truck but
I will swap um and see what happens
Thank you Sir

Flickering can be caused by a several issues. WTF are you working on? What year? Does it have the older 69/ earlier mechanical regulator -------or are you trying to say it's a 1986?

Bad connections/ terminals in the charging line / path from the alternator to the battery.

Bad ground at the regulator
Harness drop/ bad connections in the harness supplying power to the regulator.

As stated, something wrong in the alternator INCLUDING BAD BRUSHES

WAY WAY back in the 70's a friend had a 69RR and it flickered and wobbled the ammeter BAD. Turned out to be a BAD WELDED SPLICE---this is the one in the black ammeter wire up under the dash.

I happen to buy a like new 100 amp alternator from a member so I can put it on
( was a spare ) in back of truck for future so if it fixes it I will go get bad one rebuilt from old trust worthy company near me versus some junk from autozone etc .

I wasn't suggesting he buy one from Autozone just saying he could get it tested there and on top of it for free. Always love free. This is a good place to start your diagnosis and if the alternator proves to be good then you can move on knowing it is good.

I wasn't suggesting he buy one from Autozone just saying he could get it tested there and on top of it for free. Always love free. This is a good place to start your diagnosis and if the alternator proves to be good then you can move on knowing it is good.

All I have on me rigbt now
At work !!!

20210613_152220.jpg

20210613_143610.jpg

Yes I know
I was meaning if its bad I will get it rebuilt locally versus some Chinese junk.

Flickering can be caused by a several issues. WTF are you working on? What year? Does it have the older 69/ earlier mechanical regulator -------or are you trying to say it's a 1986?
1977 886 Powerwagon
318 / 727
Dana 44 & Dana 60 ( 8 lug ) 1 1/4 ton Ambulance

Bad connections/ terminals in the charging line / path from the alternator to the battery.

WAY WAY back in the 70's a friend had a 69RR and it flickered and wobbled the ammeter BAD. Turned out to be a BAD WELDED SPLICE---this is the one in the black ammeter wire up under the dash.

Military or other Government purchase, best to investigate what it came with and what is on there.
As a fleet purchase, especially and ambulance, it could have been optioned with one of the special Chrysler or Leece-Neville systems.
Look at the alternator, the regulator and the wiring. Those should tell the story.

Military or other Government purchase, best to investigate what it came with and what is on there.
As a fleet purchase, especially and ambulance, it could have been optioned with one of the special Chrysler or Leece-Neville systems.
Look at the alternator, the regulator and the wiring. Those should tell the story.
When I bought truck it had an external generator mounted above water pump that ran 12 volt fluorescent light and a few other items in rear
I took it off !
Last year voltage regulator melted and truck wouldn't crank ( I know dont happen ) but bought the silver one Sold thru autozone built in
The people's republic of China ### and it fired right up !!!

* I bought a std ignition one from a member and its in the rear with other essential parts

Ok - been a min but back on this tomorrow
I have a 100 amp like new alternator I bought from member I will install tomorrow and see if it stops this !!!

Update - installed 100 amp alternator I bought from a member and battery stud was bent pretty bad glad seller mentioned this [NOT] !!
Well after installing alternator amp gauge still bouncing around at idle was getting dark so pulled headlights on and gauge smoothed out and was normal and headlights were good not flickering at all !!!
When u cut headlights off gauge starts bouncing and light in amp gauge flickering you think that China made voltage regulator from
Advance is marginal ??

This is a military truck and gauge mentioned above was added when new its external and mounted in front of stock gauge light stays on for gauge whenever switch is run position !

All original
1976 886 Power Wagon
stock 318 [727] !!!!

Flickering / bouncing is almost never the VR unless it's the older mechanical one, but "it could be" in rare cases.

Next thing you need to do is check the bulkhead connector and check connections. Figure out the charge path from battery---through the bulkhead/ ammeter--and to the alternator. YOU MAY WELL HAVE modified wiring what was known as "fleet / taxi/ police" which ran the ammeter wiring through separate gromments in the firewall instead of the bulkhead connnector

Be ABSOLUTELY certain that the VR is well grounded to the battery You want these things well bonded together, and the larger the alternator and the more loads you have the better this must be:

Block, battery, frame, body and the VR all must be well grounded to each other. Don't be afraid to add larger cable.

CHECKING FOR VOLTAGE DROP. I've posted this a zillion times, but it is important

Check both the "harness" side and the "ground" side

1....Find ballast resistor, or as close as you can get to VR. Turn key to "run" engine stopped. Measure ballast to ground, find the highest reading which should be "battery." Stab one probe onto that and the other probe into the top of the battery POS post. You are hoping for a very low reading, the lower the better. Anything over .3V look for why.

I cannot tell you on that "rig" on a "stocker" the "general" path is battery..........starter relay big stud...........fuse link..........through the bulkhead (RED ammeter wire)............to and through the ammeter.........out on BLACK..........to the WELDED SPLICE under the dash...........branch off to igntiion switch connector............through switch........back out on "igntiion run" IGN1..........back out bulkhead usually dark blue...........to ballast.........branch off to VR and other underhood loads, alternator field...........smog equipment...........electric choke.........THAT VEHICLE MAY HAVE a "field loads" relay

2.....Check ground. Get engine warm, battery "normalized" and running on fast idle to simulate "low to medium cruise" RPM. Run this test first with all loads off, again with lights, heater, etc powered on

Stab one probe of your meter into top of battery NEG post. Stab remaining probe into mounting flange of VR. Be sure to stab through paint, rust. Once again, you are hoping for a very low reading, zero volts would be perfect

If you do all this and it won't settle down, run the thing at various RPM and various light and heavy loads while montoring the alternator output stud to the battery POS post. If your meter reads an absolute maximum of 2V under heavy load you are on the borderline. If that voltage jumps around while the load is "stable" you may have a bad connection in the charge line to battery. Also "rig" a heavy wire like no14 with a female "flag" push on connector to fit where the BLUE field wire is connected. Jumper that wire over to the battery GOOD connection. See if that settles it down. Note of course this is a test and not to be driven that way, as the alternator field will be powered / key off

Also re-check alternator for problems especially brushes and a bad stator, and replace VR

IGNITION SWITCH. I would cut the "run" line coming into the engine bay and add a bosh relay. Wire the relay coil to the "run" wire on the firewall side of the wire. Hook the engine bay end of the cut wire to the switched contacts. Feed the relay power from the starter relay "big stud" through a fuse or breaker, about 20A

This will relieve load off the key switch.

Also investigate---since this is an ambulance--other added loads on the ignition switch that you maybe ought to add relays to drop those loads off the key.

It is rare but even that welded splice--under the dash--in the black ammeter wire....can and has failed

Flickering / bouncing is almost never the VR unless it's the older mechanical one, but "it could be" in rare cases.

Next thing you need to do is check the bulkhead connector and check connections. Figure out the charge path from battery---through the bulkhead/ ammeter--and to the alternator. YOU MAY WELL HAVE modified wiring what was known as "fleet / taxi/ police" which ran the ammeter wiring through separate gromments in the firewall instead of the bulkhead connnector

Be ABSOLUTELY certain that the VR is well grounded to the battery You want these things well bonded together, and the larger the alternator and the more loads you have the better this must be:

Block, battery, frame, body and the VR all must be well grounded to each other. Don't be afraid to add larger cable.

CHECKING FOR VOLTAGE DROP. I've posted this a zillion times, but it is important

Check both the "harness" side and the "ground" side

1....Find ballast resistor, or as close as you can get to VR. Turn key to "run" engine stopped. Measure ballast to ground, find the highest reading which should be "battery." Stab one probe onto that and the other probe into the top of the battery POS post. You are hoping for a very low reading, the lower the better. Anything over .3V look for why.

I cannot tell you on that "rig" on a "stocker" the "general" path is battery..........starter relay big stud...........fuse link..........through the bulkhead (RED ammeter wire)............to and through the ammeter.........out on BLACK..........to the WELDED SPLICE under the dash...........branch off to igntiion switch connector............through switch........back out on "igntiion run" IGN1..........back out bulkhead usually dark blue...........to ballast.........branch off to VR and other underhood loads, alternator field...........smog equipment...........electric choke.........THAT VEHICLE MAY HAVE a "field loads" relay

2.....Check ground. Get engine warm, battery "normalized" and running on fast idle to simulate "low to medium cruise" RPM. Run this test first with all loads off, again with lights, heater, etc powered on

Stab one probe of your meter into top of battery NEG post. Stab remaining probe into mounting flange of VR. Be sure to stab through paint, rust. Once again, you are hoping for a very low reading, zero volts would be perfect

If you do all this and it won't settle down, run the thing at various RPM and various light and heavy loads while montoring the alternator output stud to the battery POS post. If your meter reads an absolute maximum of 2V under heavy load you are on the borderline. If that voltage jumps around while the load is "stable" you may have a bad connection in the charge line to battery. Also "rig" a heavy wire like no14 with a female "flag" push on connector to fit where the BLUE field wire is connected. Jumper that wire over to the battery GOOD connection. See if that settles it down. Note of course this is a test and not to be driven that way, as the alternator field will be powered / key off

Also re-check alternator for problems especially brushes and a bad stator, and replace VR

Thank you - WOW
u said alot and I will check it all today starting with a new good heavy ground wire from VR to battery and make a good ground wire from engine to frame. Not sure if I ever seen a engine to frame / chassis ground wire thank you again results be posted as progress is made.

-
Back