Powerglide swap

-

drugster

Reaction score
Hi:
Im trying to put a powerglide trans in my small block Duster, and need to know what is needed to make the swap easier.
Any help?

The most popular way is to use the JW Bellhousing adapter, for the trans mount on the crossover I just welded a piece of angle iron onto the front of the stock crossover. I wouldnt go to all this trouble for a street car but for a serious bracket/index racer its the best way to go.

Has to be custom made. Any good converter company will do it. People run glides in everything.

Has to be custom made. Any good converter company will do it. People run glides in everything.

I have a PTC conv. for my BB would I be able to use it with a chev trans if I had the snout that goes into the trans to a chev or is the more to it

I have a PTC conv. for my BB would I be able to use it with a chev trans if I had the snout that goes into the trans to a chev or is the more to it

I don't know exactly how they would do it. Might have to have the whole front half changed, but it's an easy conversion however it's done.

JWs flexplate will accept what ever bolt pattern you specify, ford, chevy, even mopar Torque converters. Cutting the bellhousing off of the glide will require some skill and patience, I have done many for other people...big pain in the ***.

Torqueflites were the best automatics from that era. The only way I would drive a street car with a powerglide would be if it was in a 57 Chevy. Why bother? I get the drag car thing, but even then unless you are running close to 4 digit horsepower I would think 3 forward gears would still be the hot ticket.

One less gear change is a hell of a lot more consistent in bracket/index racing applications,TH400s made into a 2 speed for even more 1st gear ratios is the going thing now but thats a little off subject.

They are great for drag cars. Less weight, less parts, less shifting, less money.

If I were to run one in a street car I'd want a GVOD and I'd use the OD as my 3rd gear. Essentially overgear the car and then drop it to a livable level with the GVOD. I did this with my car. It has 4.56's with 28's but witht he GVOD I'm at about 2500 @ 62

Check out Reid Racing's #BH060

They are great for drag cars. Less weight, less parts, less shifting, less money.

If I were to run one in a street car I'd want a GVOD and I'd use the OD as my 3rd gear. Essentially overgear the car and then drop it to a livable level with the GVOD. I did this with my car. It has 4.56's with 28's but witht he GVOD I'm at about 2500 @ 62

Check out Reid Racing's #BH060[/QUOTE

That is some good advice rocodart, I am putting my Cuda back on the street after 25 ish years of racing, it started off with a 727 then I went to a PG for bracket racing (deadly consistent). Since the PG is already in it then Im gonna start off with it on the street and later on I can put a 727 back in it and basically pick up an overdrive with the extra gear. I would have to have a new torque converter built for it either way plus freshen up one of my 727s, so for starters I will have a transbrake equipped street car for starters LOL.

I am building a 66 Dart and the trans is still a question?? Close to 500 hp, so, 904? I know A833 will hold, had on way back.
I sold my car to finish school, 71.
Wish I could help. ‍♂️

-
Back