PP weird spots and uneven face

-

skidmark

Reaction score
Clutch has never felt quite right, started a little chatter last week so I pulled it. This clutch/PP came with car 71. 340.
Mcleod, PP face is uneven and spotty. I’ve only changed a couple of clutch’s before and haven’t seen anything like that. Wonder what caused it?
Time for a new one?
Can pp be resurfaced?
Edit;
This is an 10.95” clutch, looking at a 10.5 at brewers 75109 Mcleod thinking of easier pedal would be nice in California traffic. It’s just a cruiser with occasional tire smoking.
103E7B84-9AB7-471C-8EBC-AEDD571D9A3F.jpeg
9EBE65B3-AD8F-4A33-ADA5-4EA09EFC2A83.jpeg
01C8B98D-DB4A-4338-A413-F1036D311A84.jpeg
0864310D-2863-4527-B5C4-00DBB86CFE6E.jpeg

Last edited:
Call McLeod, I had a Hays and they rebuilt it cheap and they resurfaced it new springs one pivot pin and set it up.

Clutch has never felt quite right, started a little chatter last week so I pulled it. This clutch/PP came with car 71. 340.Mcleod, PP face is uneven and spotty. I’ve only changed a couple of clutch’s before and haven’t seen anything like that. Wonder what caused it?
Time for a new one? Can pp be resurfaced?
Edit; This is an 10.95” clutch, looking at a 10.5 at brewers 75109 Mcleod thinking of easier pedal would be nice in California traffic. It’s just a cruiser with occasional tire smoking.

Hello skidmark.
Also check the pilot bearing, Input shaft where it goes into pilot bearing, Input bearing in the trans, center hole on bell housing to center hole in crank alignment, and that the flywheel has no run-out (face of crank flange to face of clutch disk).
Any of them can cause "cheetah marks' on the pressure plate Or flywheel.
Just a thought.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.

Hot spots from slipping. Got any fluid leaks in the bellhousing area? Even a drop every now an again can cause these issues.

Last edited:
Hot spots from slipping. Got any fluid leaks in the bellhousing area. Even a drop every now an again can cause these issues.
Ya know, there was a very thin film of oil on the inside of bell housing and on pp. Inside on flywheel face and on pp face it looked dry.
I had a valve cover on drivers side leaking pretty good recently. I should probably look at rear main seal? Ugh

Hot spots from slipping. Got any fluid leaks in the bellhousing area? Even a drop every now an again can cause these issues.

Or from slipping the clutch a lot on takeoffs.
But yea, oil makes it worse and you can see in the first couple of pics in the center of the PP it's been slinging some.
I would guess input shaft seal on the trans from where it is on the PP.

Looks to be grabbing between two fingers. Since the pattern is not repeated around the flywheel and the PP, I think it may rule out the disc. IMO, this may indicate the PP finger height is not set right (never was, stretched eyebolt, somethings bent) or the opposite side springs are weak. Were any of the PP bolts loose?

You could bolt the PP down to the flywheel with some .312" spacers evenly spaced between to simulate a flat disc. See if the fingers are all the same height.

Looks wet ....rear main
DAE7690E-7CBE-41DF-88B8-97EA94439EE0.jpeg

Or from slipping the clutch a lot on takeoffs.
But yea, oil makes it worse and you can see in the first couple of pics in the center of the PP it's been slinging some.
I would guess input shaft seal on the trans from where it is on the PP.
Input shaft looks good. See some from solid shaft below. Not sure what that means?
D21A04D1-419A-4E3E-B922-EBBC72F8BD12.jpeg

Looks to be grabbing between two fingers. Since the pattern is not repeated around the flywheel and the PP, I think it may rule out the disc. IMO, this may indicate the PP finger height is not set right (never was, stretched eyebolt, somethings bent) or the opposite side springs are weak. Were any of the PP bolts loose?

You could bolt the PP down to the flywheel with some .312" spacers evenly spaced between to simulate a flat disc. See if the fingers are all the same height.
No loose bolts.
Did look and found 1 of the fingers is rubbing on eyelet!
Will try bolting it down and checking fingers a little later.
D3C150B2-5B27-464D-B8BC-8B598AD87EC4.jpeg
7D1D2FDA-0760-4057-99B3-3F51B5EB967C.jpeg
9F808A89-6B87-4FD5-B2E2-98A1CF340CFE.jpeg

Looks wet ....rear main
View attachment 1715381477

Input shaft looks good. See some from solid shaft below. Not sure what that means?
View attachment 1715381478

No loose bolts.
Did look and found 1 of the fingers is rubbing on eyelet!
Will try bolting it down and checking fingers a little later.
View attachment 1715381485 View attachment 1715381486 View attachment 1715381487

It does look like a rear main seep, and keep in mind oil travels and makes it hard to tell sometimes exactly where it's coming from.
Note that it looks wet all the way around the pan seal, but like I said oil travels so we can't be absolutely sure it's not leaking a little also.
It's got to come off for the rear main anyway, so just pay good attention to it when going back on.

That rod end on the front of the case is the countershaft inner bearing race basically.
The ends of the rod are just to hold the whole gear and needle bearing assemblies in place.
If I remember they used a gasket between the bell housing and trans specifically because that shaft is not sealed on the end.
If you don't have the gasket you can clean that off with a solvent of some sort (my "go to" is gas or Lacquer thinner):D and then cover that area with RTV right as you put it back in the car.
The RTV won't interfere with the trans and bell mating up tight if it's fresh right before you put the trans back and It'll damn sure seal that where it doesn't seep at all.

No gasket or sealer is needed between bellhousing and transmission surface. The bearing retainer has an internal seal and a gasket between it and trans.

-
Back