Practically Speaking, What is This Car Really Worth?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
What would be a fair price in today's market (for both buyer and seller) for a vehicle like this nice '65 Valiant convertible. Obviously (for me) the asking price of $19,995 is a little high. Maybe someone here has sold a similar car in the recent past? Thank you.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1965/plymouth/valiant/101180614

1965-Plymouth-Valiant-american-classics--Car-101180614-baa3887deb893f86aa542325cd3347af.jpg

That car is worth 20k all day long. Black / Black bucket seat int. V8 auto on floor. The condition of the hard to find chrome looks to be perfect. I wouldn't hesitate that car won't be there long. I'll spread the word to some friends. I am sure many would be on that deal very quick.

Early A's in nice shape can fetch $10-15,000 but like OMM said, it's got a lot going for it. Unless you would do all the work yourself, you can't restore a car for $20 thousand and hire it done.

Would really have to see it in person. Notice no chrome on the dash plastic and armrests. Missing driver side kick panel. Am I being picky? Yes. But little details like that make the difference if you want top dollar. Im NO expert.....just sayin. Very pretty car for sure. I think early a bodies are severely underrated anyhow and maybe the value is finally going up.

Just a couple of things noticed in the pics (yes, being picky). As mentioned by crvtec90, the interior plastic with nonexsisting finish. The driver kick panel & notice the gap between the hood & the driver side fender. Without seeing it in person, it looks like either the hood is tweaked or the fender had some poor quality work done. That said, it is a VERY pretty car. Wonder what the underside looks like .......

It is so hard to determine what a fair market price is for these nice early A-bodies. What these cars sell for varies A LOT. Of course condition plays a big part too and how they drive can vary a significant amount.
if I was selling this I’m not sure I could get $10,000 for it. I’ve seen a lot of nice early A’s for sale and it takes years for the owner to realize what the market will pay.

Without inspecting this in person and driving it’s just so hard to know what the car is like. I bought a car with a top that looked like this one but it was dry rotted and the steering can be nice or really sloppy.
It looks nice but could be a car made to appear nice for resale but has needs to make it really useable like the brake master cylinder needs to be upgraded to a dual reservoir.
I will say if this car was well sorted and drove well with no issues, it had new tires, front disc brakes and some sort of air conditioning then I might be willing to pay 7 to 10 thousand but I doubt there are many others that would.

That's a beautiful little Valiant. The only thing I don't understand is why they didn't go to the extra trouble and comparatively small expense to what their asking price is and go ahead and have the dash and radio bezels replated. They look horrible being in that interior that's in such nice condition. It would look fantastic with them redone.

If you create an account on Mecum, you can look at past sales at auction. Early a’s are pretty uncommon, but it might give you some real data points on actual sales. You can also look at completed sales on eBay. There are a lot of cars for sale for premium prices, but that doesn’t mean they sell for that.

Probably not a good assumption that you won’t spend some money on it if you buy it. Tires dry rot on sitting cars as an example. You can spend $5k in a heartbeat on a car that age.

That's a beautiful little Valiant. The only thing I don't understand is why they didn't go to the extra trouble and comparatively small expense to what their asking price is and go ahead and have the dash and radio bezels replated. They look horrible being in that interior that's in such nice condition. It would look fantastic with them redone.
Spray or brush on.

I know of a very nice red one, non convertible tho for sale in Ca, much cheaper.

In September I went to a car show in Houston. There was a guy there with a 64 Valiant convertible. It was very similar to my convertible so I was asking him about it. He bought it a couple weeks prior to the show for $18,500. 225 slant with PB auto,Signet trim. It was a nice clean car.

I reckon it all boils down to how bad you want one like that. "Worth it" or not, that's the bottom line, how much you're willing to spend.

Is it worth it to you ?
If you ever had to sale it probably only get half your money back. In this hobby you got to figure on some loss though. It’s a better investment than a new car most just keep on going down to zero $$$

It would have to be pert near perfect, and a high performance model with all of the goodies to even come close to $20k. I have a friend that has a magazine 66 Cuda formula S 4 speed car. He paid $19.5, but it’s perfect in every way, and has been in a lot of magazines. That’s the highest price I’ve seen an early bought or sold for!

Last edited:
Agree with some of the no's it's not worth the money. For it to be referred to as a little old lady one owner on and on.....she sure knocked off a lot of them Signet pieces. I've owned a late 1964 V-200 convert with the little 273 since about 1978 so I'm a little pickie too.......

-
Back