prepping drivetrain for the new engine- 8.75 & 904, need advice

-

happster

Reaction score
alright, so i am going to be building a 360 with anywhere from 350-450 horse. i need to have a drivetrain that can handle this, as well as be capable of hooking with some nice wide tires and such.

i want to run 325/50/15s. in order to do this, i know i will need to minitub, as well as relocate the springs. so, my question is.... how much should i narrow my axle housing to get proper wheel offset? and also, am i going to be able to cut down my axle shafts? they have a tapered area after the splines, so I would have to shorten the housing considerably or get new shafts.

also, about the 904. it is very important to me for the 904 to live a long time. this means it's going to need to be well built. it's going to be a street/strip car, running 3.55 gears. what all will i need to put into a 904 to make it stand up to a potential output of 500 horse in the future? if i go bigger, i would love to not have to RE-rebuild the trans. i wanna build it strong in the first place. i am going to run a trans shifter as well, a V-Matic II.

help me build this into a reliable mean street machine!

im thinking with those meats out back and the fact that you'll want it to be a goo compromise between street/ strip you might want either 3.73 or 3.91 gears in the rearend to get those chubbies moving quick

I would leave the rearend housing alone. You should be able to get wheels with enough backspacing to get the maximum tire size on there. I still doubt you'll be able to get a 325 tire under a scamp with leaf springs. you'd likely have to do a full tub and backhalf for a 325.

Contact www.coperacingtrans.com about a 904 holding up to that much HP.

I would leave the rearend housing alone. You should be able to get wheels with enough backspacing to get the maximum tire size on there. I still doubt you'll be able to get a 325 tire under a scamp with leaf springs. you'd likely have to do a full tub and backhalf for a 325.

Contact www.coperacingtrans.com about a 904 holding up to that much HP.

hes running a b-body housing which is why he wants to narrow it...most you can run with a b-body housing and 7.5 backspaced wheels is 295....325 is attainable with a minitub, spring relocation and an abody housing or narrowed housing...its what i plan on running on my scamp (though it will be a very tight squeeze)

i want to build the trans myself. i can find a core, and i have a friend who has done 904s and 727s for a looong time, would rather not spend all that money on buying a pre-finished one. and i know it's possible to fit 325s back there with a minitub. it's gonna be tight, but it'll work. thanks gd though, i'm gonna give them a call.

-
Back