Pressed Pins into Bushings?

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
Question for the machinist types: Can piston pins be pressed into bronze bushings in the rods, with the bushing honed for an appropriate interference fit, or will it just damage the bushing to try that? Or installed by heating the rod end? And, if you can do it, will it hold or will the softer bronze just 'moosh out' eventually?

The reason for the question is to adapt some pistons with 23 mm pins onto SBM rods. The pistons don't have grooves for pin locks.

Tnx in advance!

Recently I've taken apart some 391 Fords that were done this way, my senior assembler (now retired) did say that he had done this procedure in the past.

I'd just have the pistons grooved, then use the appropriate pin bushing.

It sounds like there was just not enough interference fit to start with, AJ.

I'm just trying to save the cost of the grooving work in the piston bores, and having that plus the cost of bushing the rod bores. I'll see if that grooving can be done economically.

Someone post up the place in TX that does it economically
I've done it but it's a lot of work if you are not set up, and a lot of work to set up- you have to get the locations right for whatever pin/ lock clearance you are shooting for
pin buttons?
I've run pressed pins in bushings but usually with new bushings - stock are too big already- or os pins but then you have to hone the pistons

Thanks; pin buttons are unfortunately not an option, as the pin bores don't extend out to the cylinder walls.

I would do new bushings if this is feasible and can be expected to hold; sounds like you have made it work, wyrm. Eagle has some 'service parts' bushings listed (PN B930) that are the right sizing to work with .010-.012" honing on rod end, and then about the same amount of honing in the installed bushing.

-
Back