Prestolite and Autolite Distributors ?

-

mydart270

myDart270
Reaction score
hi all:

what is an AUTOLITE or PRESTONLITE distributor? How do you identify?

Friend has left over STANDARD ignition parts for my SL-6/225 ci engine (cap, rotor, points, condenser) and insists STANDARD parts will not fit AUTOLITE or PRESTOLITE distributors.

My original distributor from car is MOPAR p/n 2875199 w/ "68" stamped after p/n. Also has the oil filler cap for shaft (rebuilds do not have this....dah!!!!). This is not in car and has badly worn shaft, varying dwell. Replaced it w/ O'Reilly p/n 30-3610 re-manufactured distributor by CARDONE (junk). Will STANDARD parts fit this distributor??

thx....A-Body Forum is the best.

Auto lite are the earlier usually pre 60, prestolights are usually cast iron and dual point but can be found in single point also usually in Canada. Yours should be a early aluminum with a oil cap on the shaft. The cardones can be good but keep in mind they are kind of generic, and are set up for a span of years, and never have numbers on them.
Prestolite usually industrial.
s-l300.jpg

Should be like the one you have
17361611955_a3d6c51ea0_c.jpg

Auto lite, kind of rare for a slant have only seen one.
1932-Willys-Knight-Auto-Lite-Distributor-NOS.jpg

Auto lite are the earlier usually pre 60, prestolights are usually cast iron and dual point but can be found in single point also usually in Canada. Yours should be a early aluminum with a oil cap on the shaft. The cardones can be good but keep in mind they are kind of generic, and are set up for a span of years, and never have numbers on them.
Prestolite usually industrial.
View attachment 1715236996
Should be like the one you have
View attachment 1715236997

Auto lite, kind of rare for a slant have only seen one.
View attachment 1715236998
Thank you...Thank you...Thank you. You have clarified for me. I understand completely and have a distributor that you referenced (w/ oil filler cap) and alum housing).

Take a look at my NO CONTINUITY question...just noticed this am, very perplexing!!!

Thx again...A-Body Forum rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need one I rebuild them. I have a thread here somewhere. That shaft bushing is expensive though. Should have something rebuilt if not just got some in.

OK ...I guess you know your stuff. Give me a price for complete rebuild of a MOPAR OEM dist for SL-6. My car is original and points is what it came w/ 50 years ago. My p/n stamped on housing is 2875199 and "68" after it. It also has an oil filler cup. Bushings, mechanical adv, vacuum adv, springs, etc. the whole thing needs rebuild. Also is bead blasted done?? My car is really nice, its a Dodge Dart 270 w/ SL-6. Give me your addr pls.

68 FYI is sixth month of 68. Let me see what I have. Does it have to be the same number? here is what I need Year, trans auto or manual and carb 1 or 2 BBL?

The cardones can be good but keep in mind they are kind of generic, and are set up for a span of years, and never have numbers on them.
Cardone distributers, at least for the slant six, and small block, are total junk. Makes no difference if they are new, or rebuilt. Waste of money.

Their quality control is actually ok, problem with them IMO is the electrical replacement parts are now junk and like stated the curves are generic.

Their quality control is actually ok, problem with them IMO is the electrical replacement parts are now junk and like stated the curves are generic.
I don't agree, Had one with a bent/binding shaft. one with a bad pickup, out of the box. One with the reluctor jamed against the pickup. One I couldn't tell if the shaft was bent or not, wouldn't even rotate. And the electrical parts being bad is not an excuse. They should hold their suppliers responsible for supplying good parts.

Wow that is the top of the shaft bent. Really surprised at that even from them. The new pickups suck for sure. Those and condensers have a pretty high fail rate when they get hot. The points suck also low spring tension usually. Should be at least 18" lbs.

-
Back