Prestolite Dual Point Question

-

694spd

Reaction score
Was at a friend's garage today and he is working on a Prestolite dual point distributor from a 68 340 Barracuda. He thought that the distributor and a worn shaft bushing, but I noticed that it's actually the cam that is loose on the shaft. You can move the cam a little from side to side while the shaft is staying stationary. You can see this when looking down at it from the top.
Can this problem be corrected?

Just the distributor? I'm sorry I looked your post again and I thought your were talking about the bushing in the block. If just the distributor I'm sure you could have a bushing made up.

Last edited:
Just the distributor? I'm sorry I looked your post again and I thought your were talking about the bushing in the block. If just the distributor I'm sure you could have a bushing made up.
I think he is referring to the cam the the points ride is moving around.

Jake

Way to much plat should be max .001, sounds like it was rusted on never oiled. Either the top of the shaft is worn (likely) or the cam plate is toasted, no bushings in there machined steel.

^^Yup, no bushings. If the "top hat" assy. is loose on the main part of the shaft, there is wear. That might be interesting to fix. Might be able to braze up the main shaft and turn it back down to size, after "clean up" boring the top hat.

Not to many options there prob need a parts distrib. I have some spare stuff but it is hit or miss. Wish I could find a source for them......

^^Yup, no bushings. If the "top hat" assy. is loose on the main part of the shaft, there is wear. That might be interesting to fix. Might be able to braze up the main shaft and turn it back down to size, after "clean up" boring the top hat.
Actually tried spray welding one, made it fit but getting the oiling grove in was impossible.

This is not the distributor that is in question, but it is a picture of my Prestolite that I will use for reference.
I'm able to wiggle the cam side to side. When you look down at the top of the shaft in the center of the cam. No side to side shaft movement is notice. If you understand what I'm saying.

100_4381.JPG

I just looked at a spare 1970 Prestolite distributor that I have and found that the cam has no side to side movement. After looking at the exploded view in the FSM, I'm now getting a better idea how that are assembled.
I also now understand what Halifaxhops is saying that there must be excessive wear on the end of the shaft and or the bore of the cam.

On the upper end of the distributor shaft where the octagon cam sits that the points ride on. Need special a gear for the lathe to make it right.

This is not the distributor that is in question, but it is a picture of my Prestolite that I will use for reference.
I'm able to wiggle the cam side to side. When you look down at the top of the shaft in the center of the cam. No side to side shaft movement is notice. If you understand what I'm saying.

View attachment 1715248594
That's it no felt though that needs to be oiled once in a while say every 25k or so at least.

View attachment 1715248594
Damn, that's a thing of beauty!

-
Back