Pretend I’m an idiot.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just found out why everything was so cheap. Just saw the engine for the first time. No FastBurn heads. Engine is a California 1984 model. Per AllPar, it should have a four barrel and already be in the 170hp (factory) range, but whoever pulled the engine must have snagged the original intake and carb as it no has a two barrel setup

So, just found out why everything was so cheap. Just saw the engine for the first time. No FastBurn heads. Engine is a California 1984 model. Per AllPar, it should have a four barrel and already be in the 170hp (factory) range, but whoever pulled the engine must have snagged the original intake and carb as it no has a two barrel setup

Still not a bad deal if it runs well with no smoke, not much better than any other old 318 though.

That should be a roller cam motor.

A little spendy on a roller cam, but you should be able to reuse the roller lifters.

You can get a more efficient cam, with much faster ramps and not worry about break-in.

A standard LA intake will work, like the ubiquitous "Performer", which can be had very cheap.

Should be, but for his budget or lack thereof, a flat tappet will be a better choice.

IIRC it's $300 for a decent name brand roller cam

vs

a hunert for a flat tappet cam and another fiddy or so for new lifters.

so, it costs about 150 for a more efficient cam that doesn't need special break in.

Oregon is 125 for a roller and 75 for a flat tappet. But then you have the expense of custom pushrods.
The expense of shipping the cam to be re ground to and fro......
The additional expense of tappets, pushrods, etc.. all part of the game.

IMO, I would not have the cam reground but I would just get a new one.

There you have it. Nothing special. @RustyRatRod knows of a few 318 cams if you want to hot rod it a bit. Otherwise, stock teens like a 4 barrel and headers to start with.

FWIW, the "170" HP 318 was the 73 and up Roadrunner 318 with dual exhaust.

You guys are putting us moderators in a tough spot. The OP was asking if anybody has parts for sale for cheap but didn't start a "wanted thread". There is good discussion here so I will treat the thread as a information thread and suggest that the new member start a "wanted" thread when he gets ready to pull the trigger. If you have parts he may be interested in send him a PM or wait for the wanted thread. Thanks
Is there now a wanted thread and process to response etc? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back