pretty cool U-boat diorama

-
It is but it's disturbing enough I would not want the thing around

That is a whole lot of work for sure. My Dad served on a sub in WW2. I have been inside a decommissioned one like he was on. I don't know how they did it. I went down in a small sub in Grand Cayman it had windows and did not go that deep. "F" that! Those men were something else. Hats off to them. They truly where The Greatest Generation.

There is a U boat sunk off the shore here where I live. It was sank in WW2 and has been moved a couple times. Its now a dive site, there are videos of it on you tube.

The local museum has a torpedo on display and other bits like chunks of the experimental rubber coating they used on the U boats to help block sonar.
That is some high level model building there. Love how he did the explosion and the ripples on the water surface.
Here is a link to the museum. I work right next to it.

14:50 on this video shows the torpedo. The Island was a navy torpedo test site until 1945. 3:37 & 10:38 you just barely get a glimpse of the marine dock where we load bulk petroleum on ships and barges. Been working there 24 years.

Its amazing how close the germans were to our shore lines and the gov never let the people know it. They were on the west coast as well.

Last edited:
There's an American sub in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. I went through it several years ago. Worth the price and the history!

The USS Drum is Moored by The USS Alabama oldest American Sub on display to the public...if the Leftists ain't banned/ burned/ destroyed it yet......

Very skilled, to make it look so authentic.

On a side note, I've been on 2 "Tiger Cruises" on The Maryland, back in 90 and 93. Got to drive it, and the whole deal. An amazing adventure and boat.

There is one sunk off the coast of N.J. as well. Uboat archives in Germany had U-869 listed as missing off coast of north Africa. They believe it surfaced to fire a torpedo. The torpedo gyro failed and the torpedo made a big circle, and they blew themselves up.

Since it was later in the war, the U boats were told to surface at certain dates and times to recieve orders, but not to transmit back, because by this time in the war the hunters had become the hunted. PB4Y Catalina were really good at triangulating a signal and coordinating with depth charge boats.

Because of this, after patrolling off the N.J. coast, they were told to patrol off north Africa, no other orders after that because the war was over. They never returned home. It was assumed that they made it to north africa and were sunk there.

The model is really fantastic.

Last edited:
In downtown Cleveland we have the USS Cod (SS224) World War II sub open for tours -pretty interesting up close and inside .
She is an actual war veteran that missed the scrapper's torch and thank GOD some people saved her.
Good thing to see after visiting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Or before better yet.

Its amazing how close the germans were to our shore lines and the gov never let the people know it.
Actually they did, but not for the first months of the war.
U-Boat Attacks Of World War II: 6 Months of Secret Terror in the Atlantic - New England Historical Society
Then there were campaigns to get everyone to participate in blacking out the populated shore lines at night. Which were only partially successful. Along with various civilian/part time volunteer spotter/rescue efforts to assist the Coast Guard.
Many of the attacks could be seen from the shore and were also reported in the papers.
Really cool photo in the article below from the end of war surrender of a U-boat with a blimp and an early helicopter overhead.
The history of submarine warfare off the Jersey coast
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFIX9N5P.jpg

These are more oriented toward air raids...
u=https%3A%2F%2Fsos.oregon.gov%2Farchives%2Fexhibits%2Fww2%2FPublishingImages%2Fprotect-blackout.jpg

jp41agurob431.jpg

-
Back