Preventing pitts

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Is there a way to prevent or protect or delay exterior chrome and interior plated plastic

called Kodachrome...take a nice picture....protect from the very elements that threaten the plastic.....nothing lasts forever...keeping it clean of oxidizers with a soft cloth & gentle cleanser...nothing abrasive..

Chromed pot metal can be waxed just like paint.

I have not seen interior chrome on plastic pit before?

Chromed pot metal can be waxed just like paint.

I have not seen interior chrome on plastic pit before?
I didn't mean chrome on plastic. I was talking about the console. The plastic with a coating does fade. Anything to help with that situation. The radio bezel and gave assembly are new

Chrome doesn't rust, it is the ferrous metal underneath that does. Scratches through the chrome plating is what allows the oxidation. Just seal from oxygen, outside air ( wax, clear coat etc). It will never rust. Have the plastic "rechromed". The current plastics technology has advanced a lot in recent years.

Chrome doesn't rust, it is the ferrous metal underneath that does. Scratches through the chrome plating is what allows the oxidation. Just seal from oxygen, outside air ( wax, clear coat etc). It will never rust. Have the plastic "rechromed". The current plastics technology has advanced a lot in recent years.
I have the rechromed plastic. Thanks for the info about wax

I'd wax before clearcoating. The stuff that pits is the pot metal, Seems to come up from within.

I'd wax before clearcoating. The stuff that pits is the pot metal, Seems to come up from within.
If you wax before clear coat I wouldn't think the clear would stick. That's the reason for using wax and grease remover before painting

If you wax before clear coat I wouldn't think the clear would stick. That's the reason for using wax and grease remover before painting
I meant that I would rather wax than clear coat. Ie. I would wax that chrome part as a first choice. Clear coating would be a second choice.. An understandable mistake how I wrote it.

The cars were made affordable. To make chrome last, steel is copper plated, then nickel plated, then chrome. The Chrysler Imperial models had good chrome that lasted.
Our cars bumpers have steel, nickel plated, then chromed. The plating was thin, and prep was not perfect, so small voids exist. Pollutants like nitric acid from exhaust, salt attack. The wax helps. Parts can be rechromed, and can end up better than ever. I favor the natural look. Pits show the car is a well kept survivor.

-
Back