Price of copper tubing!

-

DrCharles

Reaction score
I know that building lumber has doubled and tripled in price this year (you'd think it grows on trees or something)... apparently, so has copper.

I'm going to extend my shop air line a few feet so I can relocate my benchtop blasting cabinet. So I just bought 10 feet of one-inch copper tubing, one tee, two elbows. Also two 1/2" tube-to-thread fittings and a 1/2 to 1/4" bushing.
$77 :eek: The tubing alone was $46!

Wondering if the price of Romex has similarly shot up.

I just a few days ago bought two twenty INCH lengths of 1/4" nicopp brake line, and four little brake line-to-1/8 pipe adapters, to hook up my new line lock. When he said "that'll be $45" i just about died! WTF?

Last edited:
I stopped at a metal building supply co. last week for some prices. He said the price he gave me was good for just a DAY!!!! LOL I asked WTF!? He says supply and demand, well I know demandsis not that high!!!

2 bags of 2x6 insulation and 19 styrofoam eggcrate vents. OVER $300!
Glad I realized I got the wrong insulation...2X6 rafters take 2x4 insul when using eggcrate vents. So was able to use "cheaper" 2x4 insul.

2 bags of 2x6 insulation and 19 styrofoam eggcrate vents. OVER $300!
Glad I realized I got the wrong insulation...2X6 rafters take 2x4 insul when using eggcrate vents. So was able to use "cheaper" 2x4 insul.

Thank the trade wars and the tariffs that ensued!!

Here's one for ya 4x8 sheet of 1/2 " sheet rock, 18.75 Canadian a sheet at Home depot last week. Only last year this would be in the 9-11.00 range.

Prices are gone nuts because that is what the market will bear. People are paying these prices for the products.

So I'm old-fashioned. Sue me :p
I don't use black pipe because I don't want flecks of rust traveling through the system; PVC is a shrapnel bomb waiting to happen.
What would you use in your "modern" shop?

My shop was built in 92. I used galvanized. It was free and I had a power threader. I heard Copper explodes at the seam. I have never been in a shop with copper. Ours shop has 120 constant air to the drops. One thing I can tell you is when draining the drops the water is brown with iron pipes. The new shop will also have galvanized . Its cheap and Hit it with a piece of equipment like the fork lift it stays safe. Have a long nipple on the drop and you can hang the hose. I just feel safer with iron.

You are right about the flakes though. They make the seals leak on the couplers after a while.

bet it be a lot cheaper and air be cleaner if you used nylon hose like used on commercial truck air brake systems and handle pressures up to 150 lbs easy!

MaxLine is what I used. $200 for 200’ and 6 fittings from Amazon. 3/4” pipe, they have larger sizes and a 1/2” side as well.

bet it be a lot cheaper and air be cleaner if you used nylon hose like used on commercial truck air brake systems and handle pressures up to 150 lbs easy!
So it might do a high PSI (still less than a 2 stage compressor at 175psi) but what’s the diameter of those lines? Pretty small right? Bigger the pipe the better the flow, just like exhaust headers and everything else we try to go big on our cars.

So it might do a high PSI (still less than a 2 stage compressor at 175psi) but what’s the diameter of those lines? Pretty small right? Bigger the pipe the better the flow, just like exhaust headers and everything else we try to go big on our cars.
well, on big trucks, theres air lines from 1/16th up to 1 1/2 inch, and the line is actually rated to 200 lbs, then theres the nylon hydraulic brake line thats rated to couple 1000 psi but 1/4 inch only size ive seen of that....

I used to work in a plumbing supply from early 70's to mid 80's and 3/4 x 10 ft. L was $8.50 a length. I went to Ace hardware and they had a length of 3/4 and the price tag said $5.50. I said not bad and brought it to the register and found out it was $5.50 a foot. Luckily i have a friend plumber that sold it to me a lot cheaper, don't remember how much but still cheaper than the store. He told me that China was buying it all up so that was part of the reason of the steep price increase

I just paid like 26 bucks for 2 pieces of plastic about 2 inches long! SMH!

20201016_003329.jpg

So I'm old-fashioned. Sue me :p
I don't use black pipe because I don't want flecks of rust traveling through the system; PVC is a shrapnel bomb waiting to happen.
What would you use in your "modern" shop?

PEXS works well ,and is easy to mess with , just dont use it/leave it in the sun !
Schedule 80 pvc has been in my shop for almost 30 yrs. , no problems , it`s designed for more pressure than about any air comp. will put on it . Just dont let it move around a lot , I dont leave pressure on it when I`m not using it either , vibration joint at air comp. too.-----just for u haters !

My nephew hit me up about 2 months ago about buying 7 lots, all ready to build on. Really good price on the lots, but I asked him if he had checked on building materials, and what it would cost to build a spec house. That ended that.

i bought 2 ft of 3/8'' fuel hose , it was over $6 a foot !
Yea I just bought heater hose i couldnt belive how expensive it was I got it by a 6 foot roll so it was cheaper but still high. It was like 16 dollars for 6 foot but like 20 to ship it. I got 3 rolls in various sizes and combined shipping so that saves me some

I am finishing my 40x56 stick built garage that I locked in pricing in may. Lumber materials cost me 20k. I asked what it would cost me a week ago he said 10k more. 18x9 garage door cost me 4500.00 and they had a 15percent price increase. Fun money pile is not a pile anymore..

Son-in-law wires new construction. His company deals with price increases. He deals with availability. His crew moves from one job to another because a size of wire needed to finish the job they are on is out of stock.

Just finished a fence project. It took all summer to gather enough cedar pickets. I could grab sometimes 40 at a time when the lumber yards got them. Finally a local yard got in a big stack so I bought the last batch from them for $3.12. When I got to the end of the job I was short three pickets as some were not good enough to put up. I went to buy those and they came from the stack I got the last batch from. When I went to pay they wanted 5.37 per picket! They told me that the new shipment had a price increase but I know for sure it was the same stack I got the $3.12 pickets from three weeks earlier.

-
Back