Primer Advice For Steelies

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to paint some old 14" steelies JJ1 gold to match the Dart. I have some acrylic urethane paint with reducer and hardener. I was hoping to go down the auto store and pick up a few rattle cans of primer. Will this paint stick to the rattle can primer? Advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks FABO.

I try to match the top coat to the primer, such as catalyzed top coat with an activated primer. I just finished painting steel wheels with catalyzed enamel and used PPG DP 90 as the primer.

Epoxy primer. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Can probably buy it in spray cans at a paint shop.

I am going to paint some old 14" steelies JJ1 gold to match the Dart. I have some acrylic urethane paint with reducer and hardener. I was hoping to go down the auto store and pick up a few rattle cans of primer. Will this paint stick to the rattle can primer? Advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks FABO.

That's exactly how I painted mine- just sanded down the old wheels as best I could, then shot them with some rattle can primer sealer and an acrylic urethane top coat. They turned out great. Go for it.

Body shop suggested etching primer.

This is what I use on everything I paint. Its is green in color.
Works incredibly well. Look it up.

512Wc9llBqL._SL1000_.jpg

That self etching primer up there ^^^^ is exactly what I used on my RobKat wheels and they came out GREAT.

-
Back