Primer cleaning solvent

-

Roadart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting all my needed stuff together so when i paint i have everything . Paint gun says clean with solvent(epoxy primer). Is solvent paint thinner? or something else?

Solvent is Usually "Mineral Spirits". It's a Tiny bit More effective and also a bit less Stinky...

acetone for epoxy. can also be used to thin epoxy up to 10% (depends on manufacture) and use as a final sealer before paint. Don't get it on you. absorbs quickly into skin and causes liver damage

Can you even buy paint products in Cali?

The problem most guys have is they try using box store nitrile gloves with acetone. Don't!!!! It eats right through them. QUICK!!!

Also, since we are on the subject of paint. Base coat/clear coat (BB/CC) was explained to me this way along time ago. Things could have changed since then.

Take 1 million nickels and put them in a pile. Now take 1 nickel and paint it red. Throw it in the pile. That red nickel represents how much exposure you are allowed (in your life time) to direct contact with the chemicals that make up the CC. It has DNA altering chemical properties.

That red nickel represents parts per million if you missed the analogy.

Also, since we are on the subject of paint. Base coat/clear coat (BB/CC) was explained to me this way along time ago. Things could have changed since then.

Take 1 million nickels and put them in a pile. Now take 1 nickel and paint it red. Throw it in the pile. That red nickel represents how much exposure you are allowed (in your life time) to direct contact with the chemicals that make up the CC. It has DNA altering chemical properties.

Wow!

That's a wota mickels

Klean Strip lacquer thinner, used it to clean my paints guns. It is a cheaper version of automotive lacquer thinner, it will clean and dissolve any build up your gun may encounter. Don't try to use it to thin your auto paint if you run out of the good stuff... hint hint.

1c27821d-015f-49bd-99f6-b35f9dff680a_1000.jpg

Klean Strip lacquer thinner, used it to clean my paints guns. It is a cheaper version of automotive lacquer thinner, it will clean and dissolve any build up your gun may encounter. Don't try to use it to thin your auto paint if you run out of the good stuff... hint hint.

View attachment 1715698254
I put that sh*t on everything. lol

Getting all my needed stuff together so when i paint i have everything . Paint gun says clean with solvent(epoxy primer). Is solvent paint thinner? or something else?
Solvent is kind of a vague term. You are correct, they should be more specific. Solvent can be anything that dissolves another substance. Water is a solvent to many things

Reducer or mineral spirits ain't gonna work for cleaning up any kind of epoxy type primers or paints. You need laquer thinner or whatever is recommended by the manufacturer for cleaning a gun. Steve

Laquer thinner. Jut that. Yes keep it off your skin also.

I was at HF today and a box of nitrile groves are now $23 used to be what $6? before the China bug shortage of gloves. I like the cheap gloves forhands when spraying but use better gloves for clean up. Yes nitrile gloves are useless with laquer thinner. BUT good ole HF had some good rubber gloves for like $2. They should last. Hate that place.

Thanks to ALL for your comments. I have lacquer thinner,so will go with it.

-
Back