Priming engine

-

ed1946

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Should the oil pump shaft turn freely just sitting on floor or do you have to do something else. Have new oil pump installed and just wanted to make sure it worked but shaft does not move when you put something in slot.

Is the pump sitting on the floor? What size motor? Most are hexagon shafts that turn the pumps, not slots.
How about some photos of what you are doing ?

5.9 magnum, motor is all together just wanted to see if it would pump oil up to heads

its a 98 engine, all stock except intake, oil pump and oil pan, the question i have is the shaft that distributor sets in suppose to turn independent of the motor.

You need to remove the distributor driven oil pump drive and prime just the pump with a hex. Otherwise your trying to turn the whole motor over via the distributor/pump drive.

Is that the gear that appears to be driven by cam, if it is does it just lift up or ? Would the next best thing be just crank engine using starter?

Yes, it's the intermediate shaft. My Magnum is torn down now. Here's a picture of the shaft. To remove it in order to reach the oil pump I use a couple of screwdrivers in the slot and twist it counter clockwise. Be careful to see exactly where the slot points so you put it back in the same place. It will rotate out while coming up through the gear. The engine will be out of time if you don't get it back in the same place. Once out you'll need a long piece of hex to stick in the oil pump in order to spin it and prime the engine.

IMG_20191110_133247.jpg

In addition to the big a$$ screwdriver in the slot to spiral the quill shaft out of gear engagement, I use my double offset (craftsman)distributor hold down wrench to snake it underneath the gear and lift it out. I've also used my internal expanding snap ring pliers to grab the slot in the gear and lift it out.

-
Back