Priming new engine

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am finally getting around to assembling my W2 Stroker and primed it tonight.

I am not getting oil flowing out of the drivers side rockers.

I am turning the crank by hand then priming ...then turning crank another 1/8 turn... then priming again.

Is it just that the cam hole is not lined up ?

I am finally getting around to assembling my W2 Stroker and primed it tonight.

I am not getting oil flowing out of the drivers side rockers.

I am turning the crank by hand then priming ...then turning crank another 1/8 turn... then priming again.

Is it just that the cam hole is not lined up ?
Ya likely...

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

Mine was playing WOW...lol
I kinda figured as much but it seems I have primed engines before and not had this issue.

Of course it could be paranoia due to the $$$ I have tied up in this...
On a positive note there is very little leakage of the Crower Solid roller lifters in the bore.

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

Perfect ! Thanks a lot !

On a small block:

I was just fixin to tag you. LOL I saved this info but on my now dead netbook.

I got it saved....takes a minute to find it each time.....I found it on Hughes website...but I can not find it anymore.....

Just bookmark the post to save it here.

tried every 5 degrees past tdc comp on #6 and still got nothing. Even pull the hold down bolt on the feed. Nada....

tried every 5 degrees past tdc comp on #6 and still got nothing. Even pull the hold down bolt on the feed. Nada....

You can still miss it. Ask me how I know.

Pull that rocker shaft off and make sure It's getting to the head.

Pull that rocker shaft off and make sure It's getting to the head.
I pulled the rocker shaft hold down bolt on the feed pedestal and got nothing.
i will have the wife run the drill while I crank the engine.
I have an easy 4k into the top end and do not want to risk toasting anything.

I know the cam bearings are lined up because I checked when I cleaned the block...
Ryan Johnson ported the heads and drilled the oil galleys for me ( For free I might add) and I verified the locations. Getting oil to pass side so I know all is good down below.

Its a very small window and easy to pass it up. I did a couple recently and the first one took me many turns before I finally got oil to both sides. Did one a couple days ago and hit them both pretty quick. The trick was to maintain around 40 psi while slowly bumping the crank. I did it by myself but it would be a breeze if you had a helper to run the drill.

Ahh gotcha. Lol yep Leafs got NJ tonight, heres a pic with one of my boys and Morgan Reilly
No notches... these are w2 Harland Sharps . And feed holes oriented wrong would not prevent them from oiling just feed top unstead of bottom...
Go Leafs !

tmpZxD6H_.jpeg

There's no guarantee that the hole it drilled through the camshaft at the normal angle to get the oil through at the normal position. So you gotta keep trying all around. It only lines up, even partially, for about a 15-20 degree crank angle in each 360 degree rotation of the crank, and it if is partially line up, then it can take 5-10 seconds to purge all the air.

Ahh gotcha. Lol yep Leafs got NJ tonight, heres a pic with one of my boys and Morgan Reilly

View attachment 1715246716
Awesome !
Speaking of NHLers ...I havent seen Johnny Mac on the ice lately... His brother Al comes out every now and then. He might be skating downtown though...
Skated with Rick Bourbanais this morning ( St. Louis Blues).. Still has great hands !

There's no guarantee that the hole it drilled through the camshaft at the normal angle to get the oil through at the normal position. So you gotta keep trying all around. It only lines up, even partially, for about a 15-20 degree crank angle in each 360 degree rotation of the crank, and it if is partially line up, then it can take 5-10 seconds to purge all the air.

If you have two people it's easier. First time I did this I was able to run the drill while operating a long breaker on the crank bolt.

-
Back