Printed Circuit Board Pin

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
So as you can see in the lower right of the picture I've lost one of the pins which looks like it's for the dash light bulbs none of which worked. I was lucky enough maybe maybe not to find the pin on the inside ledge of the dash. Anyone have any good ideas on how to fix this? Redfish suggested soldering a wire to the board rather than attempting to reinstall the pin.

Ideas?
IMG_0487.JPG

how about a small bolt with a nut run onto it. run bolt through back and up, then run nut down to establish continuity. must be same size as other pins so socket fits. Or just resolder with flux.

I would buy a spare cluster, while you still can. You will be thankful in 10 yrs for next "need this". For just a pin, you can still easily find trucks and motorhomes which might use them.

As fragile as these pieces seem to be, seems like the logical thing to do would be to do away with the pins. I like the idea of new connectors. Anyone have a pic of new wires soldered to the printed circuit?

easy fix . strip the insulation off a piece of 12/2 house hold electric copper wire. cut to length, put a small bend in the middle for electrical contact and solder in place

easy fix . strip the insulation off a piece of 12/2 house hold electric copper wire. cut to length, put a small bend in the middle for electrical contact and solder in place

Why not do the same with the original pin? Just asking

As fragile as these pieces seem to be, seems like the logical thing to do would be to do away with the pins. I like the idea of new connectors. Anyone have a pic of new wires soldered to the printed circuit?

That is actually what I did. Take something sharp an exacto, or even "sharp" flat screwdriver and scrape an area off the pc trace (blue or green) then just use some rosin core (electrical/ electronics) solder and solder the wiring onto it

Some of them I was able to solder right next to the pins. I used a pair of Molex connectors

67clusterrepair-jpg.jpg

That is actually what I did. Take something sharp an exacto, or even "sharp" flat screwdriver and scrape an area off the pc trace (blue or green) then just use some rosin core (electrical/ electronics) solder and solder the wiring onto it

Some of them I was able to solder right next to the pins. I used a pair of Molex connectors

View attachment 1715098385

I wish I could see that a lot closer up. As you look at the picture of my board, the contact areas are copper. Can't I solder wires to the same spots the pins were attached if I cut them off at the base or even right beside them?

Solder a piece of wire whatever on top of the copper trace that isn't mechanically anchored and next time the connector is pulled, the addition will lift peeling copper trace off the board along with it. Seen this twice on other owners boards at my workbench. That's the main reason I suggest a piece of wire soldered to the trace and male/female terminals where applicable. The wire provides something to hold on to and not pull on the copper trace. Or just plan to never pull that harness connector off again. LOL
One could poke a screw or other something with a head through from the underside but that head will need to be both shallow and small diameter to avoid short circuit to the inst' housing underneath. They provided minimal clearance here.

I had a loose pin but it wasn't broken off. I inserted a paper clip through the pin so it stuck out the back side. Then I filled the inside of the pin with solder from the back. Finally, I snipped off both ends of the paper clip flush. It worked perfectly. The pin is solid. Don't know if that helps you or not.

So my soldering skills aren't the best. I don't do it hardly ever, but I was able to get the pin attached. I decided not to try using a small nail etc and just solder the pin back to the board. I had trouble getting solder to stick to the pin even though I cleaned pretty well with very fine steel wool. But finally got it done. I'm hoping this works, by reading the wiring diagram I think it should. These dash bulbs are the only thing that doesn't work aside from the rear courtesy lights.

IMG_0488.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back