Pro stock wing questions.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I'm about to start the wing on my dart and would like input if anyone has them or made one?

Length, wicker bill height, spill plate size?

On my 71 dart the trunk is not square so I'm figuring 18 inch from the short point of the trunk to the end of the wing?

Wicker bill, 1/2 inch at a 90 degree or 3/4 inch at 45 degrees? Top speed should be around 180 MPH. ???

The bill will be removable so it's not the end of the world if it's not tuned just right.

spill plates, I see a lot of them canted in at the bottom. I'm thinking just make mine fit the side of the car. Should they roll in at the bottem?

As the dart has a long flat trunk do I need to or should I make the spill plates come forward of the wing a few inches? Is there a gain or a loss with bringing the spill plates forward of the wing? In my mind it should help gather some air and force it over the wing?

Where do you buy your turn buckles and pins?

Any thing else I should be thinking about?

I'm about to start the wing on my dart and would like input if anyone has them or made one?

Length, wicker bill height, spill plate size?

On my 71 dart the trunk is not square so I'm figuring 18 inch from the short point of the trunk to the end of the wing?

Wicker bill, 1/2 inch at a 90 degree or 3/4 inch at 45 degrees? Top speed should be around 180 MPH. ???

The bill will be removable so it's not the end of the world if it's not tuned just right.

spill plates, I see a lot of them canted in at the bottom. I'm thinking just make mine fit the side of the car. Should they roll in at the bottem?

As the dart has a long flat trunk do I need to or should I make the spill plates come forward of the wing a few inches? Is there a gain or a loss with bringing the spill plates forward of the wing? In my mind it should help gather some air and force it over the wing?

Where do you buy your turn buckles and pins?

Any thing else I should be thinking about?
Wait a minute? Has this been down to the track yet? Or we already planned on catching air?

No sir, no track time yet.

Just building the car.

I figure I have one shot at building the car I want before I gotta pay for the wedding, kids and school... so let's build the car I want now, before it's to late....

20180501_200142_zpsxg63ht50.jpg

Started the wing.

Wing is 18 inches. Spill plates are 1.5 inch and the wicker bill (not in pic) is .75 inch.

Wicker bill done. I had to make the bill in to equal parts as our brake only goes to 60" and the bill is 65.25".

20180504_174606_zpshzs0wdtp.jpg

Inside the hem on the bill is a section of .040 to make sure the two halves stay aligned at speed.

Next made one strut, I was gonna go with adjustable turn buckles to angle the wing but I'm building on a budget so... this is the answer..... (it's not riveted in in the pic)

20180504_174637_zpsdxye6kvz.jpg

I'm happy with the results. This is the first time making a wing so I'm sure it could be better and I don't have a wind tunnel but some go pro footage should tell me if it deflects at speed.

Thoughts? (Not like I'm changing it now but I will take them into consideration for mark 2 or the next one!)

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

No nothing about them, but it look good!

My buddys 68 dart need that real bad. With his new 383 in it, there was a lot of smoke at the end of the track. Thought engine had expired. The 2nt time down the track, he just about wrecked the car on the top end.
He was literally blowing the slicks loose at the top end!!!!
Three, third member, and his tool box, in the truck, fix the problem.
At near sea level, he had more mph then at our local track of 4400 feet.
Soon after that he got married and it's been sitting for some 20 years now.

No nothing about them, but it look good!

My buddys 68 dart need that real bad. With his new 383 in it, there was a lot of smoke at the end of the track. Thought engine had expired. The 2nt time down the track, he just about wrecked the car on the top end.
He was literally blowing the slicks loose at the top end!!!!
Three, third member, and his tool box, in the truck, fix the problem.
At near sea level, he had more mph then at our local track of 4400 feet.
Soon after that he got married and it's been sitting for some 20 years now.

See if he wants to sell it. I’m sure someone would put it to use.

Nope, he is a farmer!
When your done with something, you put it out to pasture.........If people bug you to much about it, you hide it in the barn. Hoping his 2nt kid shows interest in it. So i can talking him into starting it up again. Well preserved! A quart of motor oil ported down carb a 4000 rpm, cardboard under carb and exh taped off.
I probably should take a trip down there and see if i can put a bug in his sons ear!:)

Nope, he is a farmer!
When your done with something, you put it out to pasture.........If people bug you to much about it, you hide it in the barn. Hoping his 2nt kid shows interest in it. So i can talking him into starting it up again. Well preserved! A quart of motor oil ported down carb a 4000 rpm, cardboard under carb and exh taped off.
I probably should take a trip down there and see if i can put a bug in his sons ear!:)

This thread can get derailed in a second and I don’t want to do that because I want to see some really sweet A-body wings so I’ll leave that topic alone.

Well it should be no mystery that I'm a huge fan of all your fabrication and yet another prime example! Great job as always and Keep On Truckin....

Thanks guys!

The next project is making a new rear lower valance to replace the one some *** hat hit and then left. Gonna try and make front and rear valance out of aluminum. I'm toying with making the rear one a diffuser but not sure how it will go with the car so time will tell.

C3F32D8B-68CD-45F4-8FE9-C3C2B6301D26.jpeg
325AECCE-125C-4D2E-932D-8806117D5260.jpeg
Awesome job !!!! But ...... if it was my car

Last edited:
Thanks!

I'm open to input. Whatcha got?

If I were to rebuild it or make another one there are some things I would try.

Ahhh I see it now. I do like that but in person it fits the car dam near perfect.

Think it was the color in black part to make the wing flow with the body line around the bumper. Trim the outer wing a bit. Was his meaning I thinking

Yeah I was a little slow on picking that up.

I'm not to proud to admit when someone has a better idea, I will lay out a tape line and see how it looks.

20180517_171809_zpsiy51fh7l.jpg

20180517_190208_zps0xgawilw.jpg

Still need to round the edges and put a small turn on the edge but I think mr duster had a winner of an idea. I swear I looked at it all day, then I had some of the racer guys look and 2 out of 3 of them said yeah cut it..

So I did.

Thank you.

I think its gonna take a day or 2 before it soaks in if I like it or not but I think all in all it's a better shape. I may have to re shape the entire thing to make it look just right but I'm gonna sit on it.

Thanks again, good fricking idea!!

That does change the whole appearance. Looks great, and yeah with the rounded edges will look better.

You attached it all the way across right, would it be as stable if you just attached it to just the trunk lid, so that you can still open your trunk the normal way?

Last edited:
View attachment 1715176970

View attachment 1715176971

Still need to round the edges and put a small turn on the edge but I think mr duster had a winner of an idea. I swear I looked at it all day, then I had some of the racer guys look and 2 out of 3 of them said yeah cut it..

So I did.

Thank you.

I think its gonna take a day or 2 before it soaks in if I like it or not but I think all in all it's a better shape. I may have to re shape the entire thing to make it look just right but I'm gonna sit on it.

Thanks again, good fricking idea!!

Your welcome, looking sharp

-
Back