Probably a Brian T tranny question

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
Not to imply the rest of you are not experts but I saw the set up in his Dart and liked it. Okay, if all keeps continuing to go well financially, a FABO member has a 360 for me and 94 auto that I want for my 68 formerly slant 6 Barracuda. It is a column shifted auto car with power steering. I've had bucket seats in everything you can imagaine and want to keep this 40/60 split bench seat with NO console. But I like the idea of moving the shifter to the floor (I saw a Hurst set up I liked). Now, for an automatic, is this move from column to floor a huge job especially for someone who is mechanically declined? I had a 3 on a tree once a friend shifted to the floor and the brackets were not as strong as they should be and the rods bound all the time. I am told this is not a problem as it uses a cable not rods. Any help will be appreciated. Please talk slowly as I am hard of hearing and don't know what the heck I'm doing.

Well, I'm not Brian T but I'll give it a try. The thing that stands out to me is you say it's a 94 auto trans. In 94 all automatics were of the overdrive version. Overdrives won't fit in a stock A-body without some floor pan and cross member surgery. If you don't have a lot of experience in body work and fabrication I would not tackle a job like that. You can still use the 360 but will have to find an older torqueflite, preferably a 904, if you want it to bolt in without body modifications. Installing a floor shifter isn't a hard project. The only hard part about it is finding a good route for the shifter cable.

older torqueflite, preferably a 904, if you want it to bolt in without body modifications. .

You can install either an earlier 904 or 727, but you'll have to change the driveshaft if you go with a 727. If you are going to upgrade the rear axle, this may need to happen, anyhow. Be sure to post your exact engine combo, as you need to deal with engine balance issues, depending on whether a 360LA, 5.9/360 Magnum, etc.

The cable shifters are easy to install, just follow the destructions carefully. Biggest failure guys seem to have is not carefully routing/ anchoring the cable to keep it away from the hot exhaust. Check out B&M or many guys really like the "Cheetah" shifter

http://www.turboaction.com/shifters.html

Your biggest issue, if not aware, is you'll either have to change the front "K" crossmember, or buy aftermarket "conversion" mounts, as the /6 K member is different for V8s

It took me about 2 hrs to swap from column to floor shifted Hurst Pro Matic.
The cable routing worked best run forward and up, then looped down and and back to the trans linkage then I secured it with aluminum wire loom ties to the ebrake line to keep it out of danger.
This way gave me a 3 inch minimum clearance from exhaust piping, and it has been flawless for over a year of driving it pretty much every day.

Trailbeast,X2. I use the same shifter,as described. If you go B&M,I like Quicksilver,Z-gate,on a budget.If this is an overdrive,I think the B&M Hammer shifter,has a optional model for that. The Cadillac ,is the Cheetah line.

P.S.: NEVER use the phrase "tranny",in a post title. Just trust me,on this one.

Thanks for the replies and I apologize for my aging eyes and problem fingers (too many elbow surgeries) I meant 904 automatic, not 94 as I typed. It will probably be an early 70s 360 with originial 904 transmission. Rear will probably be a Dana60 3.54 and this will be a street driven car. I hope that helps and I'm sorry for my mix up.

NEVER use the phrase "tranny",in a post title. Just trust me,on this one.

Never use the word tranny and MY NAME in a title!!!

Column shift to floor shift is no problem. If I can do it, anyone can.

-
Back