Problems with FCA on a new truck warranty.

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new 2018 2500 Cummins 4x4 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab. Love the truck but I had two problems develop. 1) The Radio kept loosing the memory. 2) The rear end developed a whine on the coast side of the Ring and Pinion. Dropped it of where I bought it and they said the truck software wouldn't download? So they said they were ordering a new radio. Said it would be in this Monday, still no radio. Then they said they couldn't hear the rear end whine so I told them I would be right up and take who ever for a ride to show them. I did and took one of their techs for a ride and showed him and he agreed, yup he heard it. Service Mgr refuses to do anything because it's not BAD ENOUGH? Told him I didn't realize a certain amount of whine was acceptable? It wasn't there when I bought it in March? So I spend 1 hour and 18 minutes on the phone with FCA Customer Service and now have Case number that they are going to investigate and get back with me? Ok my question is, Are there any members here that can give me some inside information on how to proceed with Fiat Corporation of America? Oh my truck has 11,000 miles on it.

I don't know the answer to your question Roy, but I know this. If I ever have a sack of money fall in my lap, I won't be buying a Chrysler product. This isn't the first I've heard of this. To me, either something's under warranty, or it isn't.

The first guy I talked to at FCA said that they can't make the dealer honor my warranty and that his advice to me was to keep bugging them. WHAT! I asked to talk to someone else as this was not acceptable! Which I did and she assigned it to adept and gave me a case number. She thought my first advised solution was ridiculous.

The first guy I talked to at FCA said that they can't make the dealer honor my warranty and that his advice to me was to keep bugging them. WHAT! I asked to talk to someone else as this was not acceptable! Which I did and she assigned it to adept and gave me a case number. She thought my first advised solution was ridiculous.

Talk to your insurance agent and tell them the truck is under warranty but you're going to have to have the insurance fix it because your dealer won't.
Your agent will contact FCA about it and tell them they better fix it, because your Insurance sure won't want to pay for it.:D

Pit them against each other and I bet you get some pretty quick results.

all brands do this I believe GM did this awhile back on a serious problem

They always act like *** hats at first. Bottom line they should fix them. I had a problem with the wife’s Tahoe. I email corporate HQ’s with a copy of the TSB technical service bulletin specifying the problem. They fixed it.

Talk to your insurance agent and tell them the truck is under warranty but you're going to have to have the insurance fix it because your dealer won't.
Your agent will contact FCA about it and tell them they better fix it, because your Insurance sure won't want to pay for it.:D

Pit them against each other and I bet you get some pretty quick results.
Hey I like that, I'm giving FCA a couple of days to get this done. Then I'll go your route.

sounds like the same old chrysler bullshit that has been going on for decades.. this is a perfect example of why i will never step foot in another chrysler dealership to buy a new car..

U could drive it awhile longer to see if it gets worse. Do u honestly think the techs they have now can set the diff up properly? They will probably have to change the whole rear diff assambly. They won’t want to have to do that. I used to work for a shop that has an auto body with it. The 1s with bent rear housing I changed to new, used the old gears over never once changed the pinion shim, even though the pattern showed it needed changed. No noise ever. I was told the housings were so accurate that it was a bolt in and go. Now don’t get me wrong, the pattern wasn’t corrected cause I was lazy, it was because I was told to leave it alone. If there was a problem they would certainly come back. That was the bosses theory. I no longer work there. Kim

U could drive it awhile longer to see if it gets worse. Do u honestly think the techs they have now can set the diff up properly? They will probably have to change the whole rear diff assambly. They won’t want to have to do that. I used to work for a shop that has an auto body with it. The 1s with bent rear housing I changed to new, used the old gears over never once changed the pinion shim, even though the pattern showed it needed changed. No noise ever. I was told the housings were so accurate that it was a bolt in and go. Now don’t get me wrong, the pattern wasn’t corrected cause I was lazy, it was because I was told to leave it alone. If there was a problem they would certainly come back. That was the bosses theory. I no longer work there. Kim
No your right. I have no doubt they can not install a ring and pinion and have it right. But once they attempted it, they would own it and have to replace the whole rear when they failed.

I know that the pattern isn’t even close on some I have checked after I’ve put pinion bearings in, so that means it was never set up properly to begin with. I think the diff in yours is an AAm or AMM. I have replaced lots of pinion bearings in them. Kim

There is a recall issue with the 2018-19 but, for the 1500, that the diff wasn’t filled properly. Maybe the 2500s too? I see several complaints on the web about an issue on the 2500s.

I update my radio in the 2105 Ram by USB stick. Download from the web and do it myself.

Check for the info that comes with the owners manual. Also check your state for lemon law.
I’m afraid the only thing is to keep taking it back to them until it’s fixed or you start the lemon law stuff.

So I bought a new 2018 2500 Cummins 4x4 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab. Love the truck but I had two problems develop. 1) The Radio kept loosing the memory. 2) The rear end developed a whine on the coast side of the Ring and Pinion. Dropped it of where I bought it and they said the truck software wouldn't download? So they said they were ordering a new radio. Said it would be in this Monday, still no radio. Then they said they couldn't hear the rear end whine so I told them I would be right up and take who ever for a ride to show them. I did and took one of their techs for a ride and showed him and he agreed, yup he heard it. Service Mgr refuses to do anything because it's not BAD ENOUGH? Told him I didn't realize a certain amount of whine was acceptable? It wasn't there when I bought it in March? So I spend 1 hour and 18 minutes on the phone with FCA Customer Service and now have Case number that they are going to investigate and get back with me? Ok my question is, Are there any members here that can give me some inside information on how to proceed with Fiat Corporation of America? Oh my truck has 11,000 miles on it.

Sorry Roy,

My 2015 3500 4x4 Dually has less miles and just turned 10k on the trip to Carlisle. 4 recalls but the truck has been an absolute solid, pulling “***” beast. Still one recall for the tailgate issue to get done. 4 oil changes thus far for no reason but the Dealer freebies. This truck may have issues according to Fiat and such but always preforms like a beast.

There is a recall issue with the 2018-19 but, for the 1500, that the diff wasn’t filled properly. Maybe the 2500s too? I see several complaints on the web about an issue on the 2500s.
I checked that when I first noticed the noise. It was full.

Sorry Roy,

My 2015 3500 4x4 Dually has less miles and just turned 10k on the trip to Carlisle. 4 recalls but the truck has been an absolute solid, pulling “***” beast. Still one recall for the tailgate issue to get done. 4 oil changes thus far for no reason but the Dealer freebies. This truck may have issues according to Fiat and such but always preforms like a beast.
I'm happy with the truck even with the whine. I just want to take care of it while under warranty.

Check for the info that comes with the owners manual. Also check your state for lemon law.
I’m afraid the only thing is to keep taking it back to them until it’s fixed or you start the lemon law stuff.
Well I'm going to wait and see what FCA investigation finds. I've dealt with Chrysler customer support in the past when I bought my 95 2500 new. Hell they even had my home phone number for contact and I haven't had a home phone in 10 years. Hell this is the 7th Ram 4x4 cummins I've owned since 94.

SGBARRACUDA said:
I'm happy with the truck even with the whine. I just want to take care of it while under warranty.

What gear did you get in it? I had to have my 3500 with the 4:10 set. Also the Aisin 6 speed auto. Much better power than my 00 with 6 speed stick and same gear. Although the Fuel economy suffered with the 6.7 HO! But power is++++++. Over the top. Have not chipped yet as still in warranty.

The 00, 5.7 gained 100 miles per tank in just tow mode with more power with the Edge EZ and remote. Never even had to shift out of 6 most the time with 14k of 5ver in tow with this setup.

Last edited:
3.73 gear and this one gets better mileage than my 07 5.9 CTD 4x4 quad cab. On hwy driving less than 71 it gets 23. Around town 19. When I took a 8 hr drive towing a 72 340 Duster back on a open trailer it got 18. I also have the 6 speed Asian.

Hope when it is time the 6.7 responds as well!

-
Back