Problems with my Slant 6

-

bthieson

Reaction score
The timing chain jumped at the end of last season and my 72 Duster was running very rough afterwards. What kinds of things should I look for to replace or fix?

I would do a quick check and be sure that you didn't bend any pushrods. Other than that simply replace the stock nylon gears and single chain with a good quality double roller setup. Make sure that everything lines up when you install it. Best way to do this is to make sure that the number one piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke. The #6 cylinder's intake valve will just be starting to open while both valves on the #1 cylinder will be closed and pushrods loose at TDC. You can check all that once you get the alignment marks aligned.

Russ

Also it may have let a couple pistons kiss a few valves. Leakdown test wouldnt hurt once you find out the cam is timed.

Apparently I was way off in what was wrong. I have my car out at my parents place, and my dad thought the timing chain skipped. Well, what actually was going on was way too much fuel was going into the cylinders and making some pretty sweet banging noises. Little tuning of the carb seemed to fix everything. Apparently my reverse just disapeared on me though. Yeesh, time to take the tranny apart.

-
Back