Production number.

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
What information can be derived from a "production number?" In this case, V857 (197247)
This is for a 1965 Barracuda, manufactured in St. Louis. the 197247 is my point of interest.
Norm

97, 247th VIN assigned at that plant that year.

These cars were NOT built in VIN order & Plymouths & Dodges (including B-bodies) were all mixed up on the assembly line at St. Louis. ;-)

Hamtramck assigned their own VINs, also starting at 100001 for cars other than Barracudas which started at 500001.

Last edited:
Barry........what is really known about certain cars as you’ve mentioned, and their relationship to assy. line release. Cars not necessarily being built in VIN order or for that matter on their SPD. I’ve always wondered about my early built SL6 ‘70 Challenger, built on the LA assy. line. An August 18, 1969 car with a sequence number of 100113. If the line started up for regular production models and not the pre-production models,on that Monday the 18th of August, then if 350 cars rolled off their one only assy. line, on the first day of regular production. Would this make my Dodge a first day issue vehicle. Thought you might be able to help me understand this. Thanks, Al

Al the Postman,

There is no way to know which date your Challenger was actually made.

Just tell people it is a first day car. Gotta add $2000 to the selling price. :)

Last edited:
Al the postman here, thanks Barry. Just curious. Hope everything is going well for you.
72dart6pack, $2,000. I’d be shorting myself there. 4, 5, maybe 6k extra at least. I’ll probably end up keeping it anyway.

You have had it so long, it belongs with you. :)

-
Back