Proform 850 dialing it in closer

-

Cudafever

Reaction score
The Demon carburetor will not be in my vocabulary here.

So i when out to our track for some testing.
the air held between 93 and 9400 foot all day.

The ET and 60' have nothing to do with my testing as this carburetor, 60 foots so much better, that there is just no way, of getting it to hook, on a no prep surface, and was not the reason for this outing.

The first 9 runs, was testing different shift points and really didn't show much improvement. but now, i am shifting at 6000 rpm instead of 5800.
IMG_0197.jpg

So after all of that i when for timing. timing light showed 22/36.
Decided to leave it there.
Drop the jets 2 numbers front and back Made another 3 runs. Picked up 1/2 of a mph. Pulled plug and it didn't show any signs of pepper.........so drop it another 2 jet sized and when another 3 runs......Picked up basically another 1/2 mph. So at this point i put my son in the car to hold the o2 sensor and the gopro to get a full pull o2 reading. Did two pass with that.

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

Then kicked his *** back out of the car, because he slowed my MPH. Made one more run in the right lane, that is the best lane because there is less bumps. Was .200s mph faster.
IMG_0200.jpg

Ran out of time, but was temped to drop the jetting some more..... I'm down to 70 in the front and 80 in the rear.(has a front PV)
I installed a new spark plug before i made these 15 run. this plug is not a "clean kill" plug. and i didn't pull it out of the car until i got home.
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0202.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg

The black at the bottom is .150" wide

#1 do you think its still a little fat?????
#2 do you think the MAB is good or what would you change.
The video is tough to keep up with........I may make a slo mo of it later, but you loose the sound, and can't tell when i shift from each gear.

I guess i had better put this in as well
408 Hyd roller@.050, 243/247 .562/.550
12.8 compression
4200 stall
4.56 gear
28/10.5/15 M/T slicks
3860 pound car.
6600 foot elevation.

The Demon carburetor will not be in my vocabulary here.

So i when out to our track for some testing.
the air held between 93 and 9400 foot all day.

The ET and 60' have nothing to do with my testing as this carburetor, 60 foots so much better, that there is just no way, of getting it to hook, on a no prep surface, and was not the reason for this outing.

The first 9 runs, was testing different shift points and really didn't show much improvement. but now, i am shifting at 6000 rpm instead of 5800.
View attachment 1715552398
So after all of that i when for timing. timing light showed 22/36.
Decided to leave it there.
Drop the jets 2 numbers front and back Made another 3 runs. Picked up 1/2 of a mph. Pulled plug and it didn't show any signs of pepper.........so drop it another 2 jet sized and when another 3 runs......Picked up basically another 1/2 mph. So at this point i put my son in the car to hold the o2 sensor and the gopro to get a full pull o2 reading. Did two pass with that.

View attachment 1715552399
View attachment 1715552400

Then kicked his *** back out of the car, because he slowed my MPH. Made one more run in the right lane, that is the best lane because there is less bumps. Was .200s mph faster.
View attachment 1715552401

Ran out of time, but was temped to drop the jetting some more..... I'm down to 70 in the front and 80 in the rear.(has a front PV)
I installed a new spark plug before i made these 15 run. this plug is not a "clean kill" plug. and i didn't pull it out of the car until i got home.
View attachment 1715552439 View attachment 1715552440 View attachment 1715552442 View attachment 1715552443 View attachment 1715552444 View attachment 1715552445
The black at the bottom is .150" wide

#1 do you think its still a little fat?????
#2 do you think the MAB is good or what would you change.
The video is tough to keep up with........I may make a slo mo of it later, but you loose the sound, and can't tell when i shift from each gear.

I guess i had better put this in as well
408 Hyd roller@.050, 243/247 .562/.550
12.8 compression
4200 stall
4.56 gear
28/10.5/15 M/T slicks
3860 pound car.
6600 foot elevation.

You might not be able to get the fuel ring much tighter than that on pump gas. The green on the plug means something...I forget what. I’ll get the link to what shrinker wrote on plug reading and post it here so you can read through it.

Just remember...if you are driving this car on the street (I think you do, I just don’t remember for sure) and you are using a power valve, dropping the primary main jet to clean up WOT may make you lean at a cruise. Of course, the opposite is true...adding primary main jet to clean up a lean WOT can make you fat at a cruise.

I mention that because it happens all the time. If you get to that point of being either lean or rich at cruise, you can correct the primary main jet and then change the power valve channel restricters to get your WOT back in shape.

Here is the link. He gets into what the green means. I should remember it...but ya know...getting old and stuff.
http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/1486369/Sparkplug+reading.pdf
http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/1486369/Sparkplug+reading.pdf

Edit: I forgot to mention that you are doing it correctly in that you are jetting for best MPH. When you get to the point the MPH goes backwards, jet back up a skosh, and maybe add a bit of fuel so when you get out of nose bleed DA’s, you’ll be a bit safer then look at the fuel ring, and that’s where you want it to be for the fuel you are using.

Last edited:
I will read that link and Thank You.

It only comes out of the garage to go on a trailer to race at the track.

I sneak it out into the back 40 for a few small tests but it hasn't been licence sence 2003.

I'm running Sunoco leaded.....110 or 112 Race Gas, can't remember right now. have to go to my buddy's shop and look.

EDIT: It's 110

Last edited:
I will read that link and Thank You.

It only comes out of the garage to go on a trailer to race at the track.

I sneak it out into the back 40 for a few small tests but it hasn't been licence sence 2003.

I'm running Sunoco leaded.....110 or 112 Race Gas, can't remember right now. have to go to my buddy's shop and look.

Then you can probably trim the fuel ring down some, the MPH will tell you how far to go.

You may want to start working with the MAB. That gets tricky.

Im also inclined to think that when a main jet change is too much, you can either open the bottom emulsion hole .004 or if you have a 4 or 5 emulsion metering block you can add slower hole and maybe start with a .024ish hole.

so do i get it as lean as i can....(Main Jets)
Then start playing with my air bleeds or ...........
I still haven't got my head completely wrapped around the air bleeds, emulsions IFR and all that.
But it is something i'm much more focused on this time.

so do i get it as lean as i can....(Main Jets)
Then start playing with my air bleeds or ...........
I still haven't got my head completely wrapped around the air bleeds, emulsions IFR and all that.
But it is something i'm much more focused on this time.

I’d keep working the mains down until it loses some MPH, and the you can really pick the pepper out of the fly poop with the other circuits.

You may want to setup the camera to capture more info, tach/shift light/afr
This is my crude data logging.

Snapshot 1 (6-28-2020 2-52 PM).png

You may want to setup the camera to capture more info, tach/shift light/afr
This is my crude data logging.

View attachment 1715552722
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Nice!!!!

The sad part is, that this thing has data logging capability. Thru a memory card or you can hook it up thu a laptop.
I can't make it work:BangHead:
It can be set up to show 3 thing on the screen at one time. I should have added the Rpm to the screen but i'm usually testing by my self and have the self-e stick hook up to my gopro and trying to make it work. So the larges screen is with only the o2 showing

I had to put some stuff in line with my tach signal to filter out the garbage so that it would read RPM.

I really should just take the time to figure it out. Then I can post up a nice sexy bar graph with up to 5 channels.:BangHead::D

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Nice!!!!

The sad part is, that this thing has data logging capability. Thru a memory card or you can hook it up thu a laptop.
I can't make it work:BangHead:
It can be set up to show 3 thing on the screen at one time. I should have added the Rpm to the screen but i'm usually testing by my self and have the self-e stick hook up to my gopro and trying to make it work. So the larges screen is with only the o2 showing

I had to put some stuff in line with my tach signal to filter out the garbage so that it would read RPM.

I really should just take the time to figure it out. Then I can post up a nice sexy bar graph with up to 5 channels.:BangHead::D

Wow...if you can data log, and get a throttle position sensor hooked up, and if you have a really wild hair and can get a MAP sensor and log that you WILL be POOPING in the TALL cotton!!

Then you can log all that crap and see exactly where you need to tune.

That was going to be a spring project for me, but now I’m going to get a data logger hooked up this winter.

I need to log clutch data and Ill log the rest of that stuff too.

Wow...if you can data log, and get a throttle position sensor hooked up, and if you have a really wild hair and can get a MAP sensor and log that you WILL be POOPING in the TALL cotton!!
:lol:

I took me 2 year to get the rpm and o2 to read..............
I really need to set down and try and figure this thing out..........but i just got my new flow bench adapter and need to finish that project as well............
It's not winter........i need to get this thing figured out.

Mean while back at the ranch.
I made a Hill Billy o2's Bar Graph.
Black, is the first run and Red Is the 2nt run. With out rpm to represent time....... it not a 100% accurate but was kinda fun making it and decided to share.
The 14.0 in the 2nt run was because i just touched the rev limiter before 2nt gear shift.
also the 2nt one lasted a little bit longer because i ran it past the finish line.

well i got my data logger to work. o2 and rpm.
Have no clue how to post it up here in a proper format.
Do they make a TPS that hooks to a Holley carb????
Map sensor? where would i install that.

@PRH
@pittsburghracer
I have no desire to start a thread on my flow bench but figure a few of you might like these pic's
Just got my new head adapter back and still need a bore adapter,inside the bench, as well as some more pluming done. All the water gauges are going away this time.

IMG_0213.jpg

This is what my old bench and head adapter looked like. Was build, literally out of two large tables and a bunch of junk vacuum cleaner motors.
Head adaper, as you can see was made out of a bunch of acrylic and plastic. Did keep the clear Acrylic tube for the new head adapter.
When your done grinding and wash the head, and spray the port with WD-40,(to keep the rust out of the port) it can be interesting how the WD travels around the cyl.:)

IMG_0214.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to add "Self Proclaimed" Guru.....but decided to leave that part out :poke::lol:

Your running 36* total ? What heads ?
I am at 32-33 total running closed chamber W2s... havent got much run time on it so far . Do I dare bump it up that far ?

Your running 36* total ? What heads ?
I am at 32-33 total running closed chamber W2s... havent got much run time on it so far . Do I dare bump it up that far ?
I don't know how much compression you have, but i would say NO. Remember i live at 6600 feet!
I'm running the RHS Iron heads with 12.8 compression.

I would say pull you spark plugs and read the ground strap before you try any more timing.
My car Don't like 40 degrees but i usually run 38 total.

At sea level i would be starting at 32 degrees and testing it from there.

Wow ... I did not realize elevation and compression would effect timing requirements so much !
Your RHS have a chamber similar to the EQs onmy Barracuda which set to 32 as well. I just installed new plugs in order to check the reading.... I plan on running it today and checking. This will be interesting.

Make sure you run it hard to get the real reading out of the ground strap.

No air = lower compression the eng sees. Even tho i have a ratio of 12.8. I Want to try some pump gas 91 and see what would happen. But once again, i would drop timing down to 30-32 to start my testing. I'm kinda chicken, so i haven't tried it yet. way more" to do" things on my list above that one.

It may like a little bit more timing......but don't be surprised if it don't.
The only, real way to test the timing is at the track or on the dyno. Plug read could tell you if your any wheres close.

Got it .
I am at 2800+ ft .
Yup been there at Firebird with my 340, couldn't slow it down enough to keep it in the sportsman class.
Love that track, want to go back,..........someday.

Firebird could use some more shade and less Jr Dragster...lol
A bit slow getting cars down the track but otherwise good track .
I love Woodburn ! If your car is fast here it will scream at Woodburn !

-
Back