ProForm 950 air bleeds (confirmation please?)

-

'63GT

Reaction score
I've been having an issue with WOT response...
And I discovered something. The air bleeds in my main body are 32/73 (as shipped)
Is this correct ?? by your experience ???

specs on carb: (cause I know you'll ask )

IFR: .033 idles good at 1/2 turn
PVCR: .063/.063
PV's 4.5/plug
Emulsions: bottom to top .031, blank, .030, .028, .028
Jets pri/sec: 88/89 (move up from 84/89) (shipped w/ 78/88 I think..)
Shooters: 37/37 (shipped 33/35)

I'm missing something here... kinda rattled at this point.. Thank you in advance :)

From their website

proform 950_67202_specs.jpg

10 jet sizes over stock in the primary side with the PV still in.....went in doubt reset back to stock...

Yea jetting is way fat on the primary. What is your issue? My first move would be to take some of that emulsion out of it. After resetting the jetting. You could also go down a bit on the HSB. Try .029.

Guess I should ask if your tuning with an O2 meter

Last edited:
Thank you all ! I get to work now :)

But it does look like it was shipped with the wrong bleeds...

Yea jetting is way fat on the primary. What is your issue? My first move would be to take some of that emulsion out of it. After resetting the jetting. You could also go down a bit on the HSB. Try .029.

Easiest way to explain it is, it acts like there's no shooters in it.. as soon as I get heavy with the throttle.
No O2's..

May need more pump cam, does it have the pink ones right now? Try a set of blue 427 cams

Don't know if I have the cams you suggested.. But I will look into it. Got bleeds coming too..

Pretty wet. But I was trying something a while ago. spent some time idling. NGK BPR6ES
CR 12.34:1

20180817_165839.jpg

Get the idle right first. Fouled that plug idling. And the mixture screws are only half turn from seated. Secondaries open for idle same as primaries? Float level set? Throttle cable not holding carb open? Vacuum leaks? I don't think changing air bleeds will fix it. And go back to original jets.

I'd go back to the 78/86 jets and the 32/71 air bleeds, then try blue pump cams in the #2 hole.

Absolutely not, it’s gonna take more than air bleeds, he’s chasing his tail a bit untill he can see what changes are affecting what.

I do have a pretty good idea where I would set everything including the emulsion but wouldn’t recommend it without a Af meter. The proform will probably need TS restrictions also to really clean it up

That's the plan, skrews! :) thanks for taking the time.
I can't get to it til Sunday afternoon at best.
I'll keep you posted.
And yes, I'm doing something about those nasty plugs too

Unless you get the idle circuit squared away all you gonna do is foul another set of plugs.

The IFR is only .033. I fouled those plugs while fiddling with shooter adjustment, and having too much jet. They don't normally look like that...

Absolutely not, it’s gonna take more than air bleeds, he’s chasing his tail a bit untill he can see what changes are affecting what.

I do have a pretty good idea where I would set everything including the emulsion but wouldn’t recommend it without a Af meter. The proform will probably need TS restrictions also to really clean it up

Let me have it. I'll listen. There are no bad Ideas here...

Let’s hear a quick rundown of the engine combo

OK.. 360 .030, 12.34:1 with small .040 quench pad, ProComps Flow 290 @ .600, W5 SP w/2" super sucker, ProForm 950 Main body, .638/.656 (with 1:6 rockers), 255/260 @ .050 108° on 103 Howards Solid, Dougs 450R headers, 3" exhaust, MSD digital 6, NGK BPR6ES plugs 35° total.

One other thing, to those who chimed in here...
This started out as an experiment. I wanted to discover the viability of the Ebag knock-offs of the billet holley parts.. Namely, throttle plates and metering blocks. Well, not the best.

In fact, I out-lined the throttle plates here: 750 vs 850 vs 950 Holley

As for the metering blocks.. well, like a dumb ***, I put them in 'as shipped'. It was a pig. My modified 650 out ran it by 4mph. In frustration, cramed some jet in it, and it didn't respond well, so it landed on a shelf for 3 months.
Once I was done being mad at it, I did an autopsy. The metering blocks were fubar. All of the replaceable jets were .025. EVERYTHING! IFR, emulsion (5), and PVCR. So, I fixed it. I copied the Quik Fuel blocks (as I outlined in a previously in this thread) but I never pulled out all that f'n jet.
Hence, wet plugs. (that's what I get for being complacent)
But, there's still a transition problem. The 'shooter' circuit was never meant to take place of the carbs ability to transition, but to aid it.

This is why I ask for your opinions. If you wish to judge me, go for it. I'm too old to let that get to me. Besides, if you've never made a mistake, you aren't trying hard enough...
Thanks, again, for ALL of your input. :)

IFR: .032 moves to lower position
PVCR: start with the .063 untill main jetting is set for cruise
PV' 6.5 (high flow) and plug sec
Emulsions: top to bottom
.028, plug, plug, .028, plug
Jets pri/sec: Try out of box to start
Shooters: 35/35 (high flow screws) with blue pump cams, play with the position
IAB .071. MAB .029
Transfer slot restriction .078-.082 to start.
.110 N/S

Will need an O2 meter to really tweak it from there.

-
Back